HOMECOMING 2014: Campus Crawl, movie night, and more during weekend

Suffolk’s Second-Annual Homecoming took place last week, and introduced a plethora of events to students.

Campus crawl, full of free food, prizes and giveaways, was just one of many exciting events that took place during the weekend.

The adventure began at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 21 in Miller Hall, where Jeremy Shepard, a Suffolk alumnus, and host of the 6B Lounge in Boston, stumped many students with random trivial questions. The trivia game took place in the café, where students were able to enjoy hot dogs, pretzels, and non-alcoholic beverages from the “mocktail” bar, while testing their knowledge to win prizes including Red Sox tickets, movie tickets, and money added to a student’s Ram Card account.

Connie Lai

The crawl continued over to 73 Tremont, where students were tested with more trivia. Some of the questions included were identifying movie characters that were made into Legos, naming actors voiced in animated films, and identifying birthplaces of presidents.

Everyone who attended also received a free T-shirt promoting National Alcohol Awareness Week.

“It’s nice that we have this alternative open to us,” said freshman Josh Lee. “It also gives students a chance to see what else goes on at Suffolk.”

The final event of the night ended with a performance by Seriously Bent and The Suffolk Ramifications in the basement of 150 Tremont. The two groups teamed up for an unforgettable A cappella improv comedy show.

The event lasted from 10 to 11 p.m., and students who participated in the crawl were given the opportunity to meet other fellow Suffolk peers and have fun, while staying safe, one of the themes of the event.

Student Health and Wellness Services Director  Liz Drexler-Hines and Assistant Resident Director of 10 West Lisa Shell first started campus crawl in 2010 to promote alcohol safety education. They purposely designed the program to fall on a Thursday to replace the “thirsty Thursday” mentality. Since then, the event has continued to grow into a success, with both on- and off-campus students attending, they said.

Another big draw for Homecoming Weekend was Fall Fest. The variety show celebrated its 40th anniversary, showcased various independent student acts, as well as performances by the company and alumni.

“Fall Fest was the first event I attended this week and I loved it. I loved that it was funny, but also emotional at the same time,” said junior Nicole Sklarzik.

On Saturday night, Homecoming Weekend took to the Boston Children’s Museum for a night of fun, but also, to award distinguished alumni. Boston Police Commissioner William Evans was among 10 other alumni recognized by the university, according to a statement.

Throughout Homecoming, students, families, and alumni took to Twitter with #SuffolkWeekend.

Sunday finally wrapped up Homecoming Weekend with three different events, including a Farewell Brunch with President Norman Smith and Rammy, where they said “goodbye” to Homecoming, and two admission open houses for new students to tour Suffolk.

When asked about the buzz of Homecoming Weekend, several students weighed in on how they felt about the second annual event.

“I went on the Duck Tour as well and that was great because I learned a lot about Boston,” Sklarzik said. “Overall, I think homecoming is a great opportunity for students to know Suffolk better.”

Sophomore Megan Duchesne shared her thoughts, too.

“The only event I attended was the movie showing of Gone Girl Wednesday night, and I thought it was cool how they had a movie theater for only Suffolk students.”

If you missed homecoming, you can check it out in 2015 for its third annual weekend. It’s only about 365 days until this eventful weekend returns.