Rainbow sprinkles for Rainbow Alliance

By Gina DeMatteo

Around 100 students, both members and non-members of the Rainbow Alliance, came to celebrate and chat together in honor of the start of LGBTQ history month. Surrounded by ice cream, the Rainbow Alliance club gathered in Donahue 481 last Thursday to celebrate.

The theme for the month is arts, community, and healing.  Whether the conversation was about the club or student’s lives, everyone seemed to have a wonderful time in the event’s welcoming and comfortable environment.

“I think it’s the perfect way to relax after having a stressful day of school, as well as a fun way to get students involved with the club,” said Jon Mace, a sophomore.

“Most cultural groups will do heritage food at the start of their history month, so in honor of LBGTQ, we wanted to celebrate with ice cream and rainbow sprinkles to show our pride. What better way to have community, than around food?” asked Amy Kerr, the president of Rainbow Alliance.  The event included vanilla ice cream and an assortment of toppings.

(Courtesy of Diversity Services’ Facebook and Gina DeMatteo/Journal Contributor)

Ben Shopper, sophomore at Suffolk and vice president of Rainbow Alliance said, “It’s important to celebrate our heritage, so that we can share the history with everyone, whether they be a part of the club, or not.  We just want to inform everyone about who we are and what our club is, all while doing it in a fun and memorable way. Who is going to hear about free ice cream and not come, you know?”

Meeting every Thursday during activities period in room 108 of  Sawyer, Rainbow Alliance members often talk about current events that are happening in the LGBTQ world.

“We meet because we like to have a sense of community, and a sense of support.  It’s comforting to know that there are others around to talk to, and that your voice will never go unheard,” said Kerr.   Since October is history month, instead of talking about current events, members are hosting and attending all sorts of functions that show off their pride, including “Safe Zone 1,” which focuses on educating participants on issues that impact the LGBTQ community, Coming Out Discussion and Support Group, National Coming Out Day, Spirit Day, and coming in at the number one most popular event, the Annual Drag Show.  The Drag Show is the second longest performing arts tradition on campus, so students, and even teachers come to enjoy a night filled with fashion and glamour. All of these events are free, and anyone can attend.