In a time of change, SGA needs to know what the students want

The Student Government Association has begun making plans for the year, but in the midst of change at Suffolk and on top of their immediate goals, SGA needs to know what the students want.

First on the docket for SGA this year is getting a fresh selection of New England School of Art and Design  student work in the library, according to the SGA president, Tyler LeBlanc, and vice president, Colin Loiselle. Eventually, SGA hopes to have an art show to celebrate the pieces.

Much of the artwork currently on display in the library is years old, according to LeBlanc.

“We’re framing the last few pieces,” he said. LeBlanc would like to see the artwork swapped out every three or four years, or sooner. Though SGA does not have details set in stone for an art show yet, the group has a few ideas.

“My hope is to get as many NESAD students at the library as possible while having as many students in SBS and most of the PR and communication majors there as well so that we can get the entire community there,” said LeBlanc of his hopes for the art show. “We can get some recognition from this side of the campus to say ‘wow, NESAD does some pretty cool stuff.’”

Another priority of SGA’s is to continue building the strength of the commuter student task force.

The group “was at one point the third biggest club on campus,” LeBlanc recalled. He would like to see the task force work with the commuter student ambassadors and improve commuter student appreciation week.

(Photo by Jonathan Acosta Abi Hassan)

But beyond these first priorities, LeBlanc said that in this time of transition, SGA needs to hear the needs of the students. Whether that is a place for a nap, intramural sports, or just more of a student center to hang out in, the SGA president wants to know what to create for the Suffolk community. Loiselle remarked that a theme for this year is “community development.”

A long-term goal for SGA is finding a new space for students. LeBlanc said it is frustrating to have NESAD on one side of campus, a one-floor student center on the other end, and small spots spread in between. He envisions an entire building to host places for students to relax, a home for all the clubs and media groups, and even, a better gym.

“We don’t need one floor, we need a building,” said LeBlanc, who believes this could be accomplished within five years.

Other duties keeping the SGA busy over the next month are elections.

According to Loiselle, there are senator positions to be filled: nine for freshman, one for sophomores, two for juniors, four for seniors, and a few senator-at-large positions. The polls are open Sept. 22 at 9 a.m. and run through Sept. 24 at 5 p.m. and will be accessible through a link sent to Suffolk email addresses or by logging on to SU connect.

“During elections we’re going to hand out [flyers] and say ‘go vote, go vote,’” LeBlanc said. “Any turnout that we have more than the year before is better, even if it is five votes.”

Looking ahead to the spring, LeBlanc and Loiselle think SGA will revisit the campaign to curb smoking outside of Sawyer.

“When we were over there we got smokers to move across the street or away from the building, every time when we would walk by when we weren’t campaigning they were right back up against the building,” LeBlanc said. “We really didn’t have as much of a plan to combat what we didn’t expect. It’s something we’re going to try and revisit later on.”

Loiselle sees the opening of the new academic building as a way find a place for both smokers and nonsmokers.

“Hopefully the opening of 20 Somerset might relieve a little bit of that traffic [in front of Sawyer],” he said. “We’ll be able to shape what happens outside of the building.”

For now, SGA is working hard to decorate the library with fresh art, and hoping to hear the voices of the students.