GOP gears up for election

Article By: Angela Bray

The Suffolk GOP has been extremely active this semester, according to President Karl Hoffman, planning various events around campus, fundraising, and now becoming involved with upcoming senate and state elections.

“I think it is safe to say that we have had a very busy fall, and we look forward to continuing with the momentum we have going into the spring,” said Hoffman.

Suffolk GOP is contributing to the U.S. Senate Race, welcoming all candidates to come to events and speak to all interested students. The club is currently working with Scott Brown, a Republican running for Sen. Kennedy’s seat, who spoke and answered questions at Suffolk on Monday.

Nine Suffolk GOP members volunteered at the fundraiser and meet and greet for Brown’s campaign, which was held in Wrentham. Mitt Romney attended as well and spoke to about 200 supporters regarding his endorsement of Brown.
State Senate candidates Eric Dahlberg and Brad Marston have also visited Suffolk and members are working for the Congressional race as well, with candidate Bill Hudak, who has already spoken to the club.

“We look forward to the upcoming election and really have worked to get our members chances to work with these candidates and their campaigns,” said Hoffman.

The Suffolk Republicans are coming right off the heels of their annual Care Package Drive, which recently concluded. The drive collected monetary donations benefitting service men and women stationed overseas. Approximately $900 was raised. The club’s budget covers shipping fees and materials.

Approximately 100 pounds of items are donated per $300, according to past years, resulting in Suffolk donating about 300 pounds this holiday season. The care packages include items such as body powder, baby wipes, and deodorant, as the men and women overseas are not supplied with sufficient hygiene products. “We hope to receive photos back showing the troops receiving the packages right after Christmas break,” said Hoffman.

Additionally, members of Suffolk GOP tabled in the lobbies of the Donahue and Sawyer buildings, offering free coffee each morning during collections. The club also co-sponsored one of Program Council’s “Meel n’ Reel” movie nights, allowing them to collect donations at the door of the event.

“Through all of these efforts and the eagerness of the faculty, administration, and students of Suffolk University, we beat our goal of $600,” said Hoffman.

Hoffman also mentioned that Suffolk GOP is considering holding the Massachusetts Alliance of College Republicans Spring Convention at Suffolk, saying it would be “great publicity for our University.”