Suffolk sophomore to compete in Miss Boston and Cambridge pageant

One of the 18 women who will walk across the stage during the Miss Boston and Cambridge 2014 pageant is Suffolk’s own Katelyn Peters, a sophomore who was inspired by pageants after her freshman seminar.

(Photo courtesy of Katelyn Peters)

Peters, a 20-year-old psychology major, decided to participate in the pageant, presented by the Miss Boston Scholarship Organization, because she took a freshman year course that focused on competitive beauty. She said the class was not one of her first choices and she was concerned about the topic. But, her freshman self soon started to enjoy the course. The class ended up being her motivation to compete in her first pageant.

“I know I have competition. Other girls have been doing this for years,” Peters said on the Feb. 16 pageant, “but I am going in and wining it. ”

As far as the pageant goes, Peters is most nervous about the question and answer segment.

“That is the most nerve-racking thing I keep thinking about,” she said. “They don’t give you any samples, but I am practicing with mock interviews.”

Peters is performing a hip-hop dance for the talent portion of the pageant. She will be dancing to Beyoncé’s song “Flawless.”

For her evening dress, she is using a prom gown. “It is red with a little sparkle,” she said.

Peters acknowledged that some people have a negative conception of women who participate in pageants and are quick to stereotype them. She said that before her competitive beauty course at Suffolk, she was one of those people. Now, she tries to sway the view of those people.

“I explain to them what it is all about. I give them the round-about of the whole pageant,” Peters said.

She said despite the stereotypes, people have to realize pageants are an opportunity to win and receive scholarships.

“Just doing it even if you don’t win, there are scholarships and many doors open from the pageants,” she said.

(Photo courtesy of Katelyn Peters)

In the Miss Boston and Cambridge competition, all contestants will receive a tote bag with gifts inside. The pageant has 15 awards that will be given out with the first prize including scholarships, a personal trainer, public speaking opportunities and more.

Other prizes include the “Boston Trader” Runner Up, VitaCoco Talent Award, Lifestyle and Fitness Award, and the Walk, Talk and Win Interview Award.

Tickets for the pageant range from $50 for VIP and $30 for general admissions. The Miss Boston and Cambridge 2014 Pageant will be held at 5 p.m. at the Omni Parker House.

“I hope people will come and support me,” said Peters.