Sex and Love celebrated this week

Melissa Hanson  Asst. News Editor

The Suffolk University SUPERs are constantly around campus trying to educate their peers.  This week their goal is to spread information and resources through programs they call “Sex and Love Week.”

The group was inspired by a conference for peer educators in Orlando last semester.  They noticed that lots of other campuses have a whole week dedicated to sex and love education, and they wanted to bring these ideas and events to the Suffolk campus.

“That’s where it started and it’s grown,” says SUPER Mari Leclerc.  “We wanted to cover a lot of different aspects,” says the sophomore who is expecting a great turnout this week.

On Monday, the SUPERs chose not to have an activity because of Passover. The first two days of Passover are the holiest.

But, on Tuesday, the activities were on.  During the day the SUPERs teamed up with the Interfaith Center’s Rev. Amy Fisher to have a program on love and religion.

“We try to be really open and diverse in all of our programs,” says Leclerc.  Tuesday night featured an event on “hookups” and “booty calls.”  The SUPERs had students discuss what these terms meant to them and then spoke about the importance of consensual relationships.

“Sex in the dark” is Wednesday’s Sex and Love Week feature.  The SUPERs have held this event before and hope to receive the same great results.  In a small, dark room on campus the SUPERs will create a more intimate, but comfortable, setting where students can get their sex questions answered without having to feel awkward or embarrassed face to face.  The SUPERs will come prepared with glow sticks and glow-in-the-dark condoms to make the event fun, while showing students resources they have.

“Sex programs normally go really well cause they’re more appealing…they’re edgy,” says Leclerc.

The rest of the week will follow the “love” aspect of the program strongly.  Thursday’s feature is “What’s love got to do with it?” where the SUPERs will team up with the university counseling center.  The duo will discuss the chemistry behind sex – what chemicals are emitted during sex that alter one’s sexual moods and desires.

“I’m excited to see that one,” says Leclerc.

On Friday the group will be tabling instead of holding an event.  The SUPERs plan to talk with students on the ways people express love differently, with a focus on the book Five Love Languages.

“It shows you how you can accept love and how you can give it out,” says Leclerc.

Sex and love education will continue in April when the SUPERs will co-sponsor with the Student Government Association and Residence Life a guest speaker to talk about how to be kind sexually and using sex to empower and eliminate violence.