Fall Concert another success for Suffolk and the SGA

Alexandria Martinez  Journal Contributor

On October 1, Suffolk students gathered at the legendary House of Blues for Suffolk’s annual Fall Concert. The atmosphere was one of excitement and fun, as students danced and sang to both acts. The night also included both the Suffolk Step Team and Wicked! Hip Hop dance team who opened and pumped the crowd up for Fabolous, followed by Cobra Starship.

The concert, which is put on every fall by the Student Government Association (SGA) serves as a welcome to new students and a welcome back to the rest of the student body. This year’s concert featured two totally different artists in hopes of bringing together the varied Suffolk community. Martha Alvarado, senior and the treasurer for SGA said, “We can expect that it’s two different artists and we’re trying to get different types of students here”

And it did just that, with students from all walks of life and different tastes in music coming together in the eclectic concert hall to celebrate the start of the fall semester and meet with friends as well as make friends. “The artists seem really excited to be here,” said Alvarado and they proved that during the show. Gabe Saporta of Cobra Starship stopped during their set and brought up the dance teams to provide them with “primetime audience,” as he said. Fabolous had a great club feel to his set and did his best to include the crowd who received him with open arms.

Riley Sweeney, sophomore said, “I’m pretty pumped to see Cobra Starship.” While Ashleigh B Fuller, freshman and newest member of the Suffolk Step Team said, “I am most excited to see the step team since I have never seen them perform. I don’t really go to concerts but I really love Fabolous.”

The show proved to be full of energy and helped bring together the Suffolk community for the fall semester. Both acts had a great show and both brought the crowd to an excited buzz that included students dancing and singing. And it even led to students taking photos and video during the show as well as singing back to the artists. One can only wonder what next year’s fall concert will hold.