Interfaith center invites diversity

“I think it’s important that we meet the needs of a diverse community vis-à-vis their religious needs,” says Reverend Amy L. Fisher, Suffolk’s University Chaplain.  

The Interfaith Center, where Reverend Fisher provides spiritual guidance and other services, serves as a religious resource for the community.

“The important thing is to be accessible for all staff, students, and faculty,” says Fisher.       

As one walks into the center, it is clear that the mission is to be a welcoming environment for students and faculty of all religious backgrounds.  

Greeting the community at the entrance is a tapestry that reads ‘Coexist’, decorated by a variety of symbols such as the peace sign, the Cross, and the Star of David.

On a wall in the center can be seen a variety of religious symbols, including ones for Buddhism and Islam, as well as the tree of life.

Contained in the center of the Interfaith Center are an interfaith room, intended for worship and a meditation.  

“The center is small enough that everybody feels comfortable and everyone shares.  For me that’s what religion is about- hospitality and sharing,” said Fisher.

Reverend Fisher meets with students to discuss or answer questions concerning spirituality, religion, racial issues, ethics, and morality.  

In addition to the counseling services offered, the Interfaith Center also holds a variety of events hosted throughout the semester.  

Weekly events held in the Interfaith Center include Qur’an study, Zazen: Sitting Meditation, Roman Catholic Mass, Bible Study, and Hatha Yoga.  

Members of the community can also stop by for Tarot Card readings every Tuesday after 1 pm by appointment.

Easter, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, and Passover are among the seasonal celebrations offered by the center.

On February 22, the imposition of ashes will be held at noon in honor of Ash Wednesday.  

Throughout the semester panel discussions are also held in the center.  

On February 21 at 2 p.m. a panel will be discussing religion’s views on the apocalypse.  

Another panel will meet on March 6 at the same time for “Interfaith Dialogue”, a discussion of how religions communicate.    

According to Reverend Amy Fisher, who has been working at the Suffolk University Interfaith Center since 1999, the Interfaith Center provides not only an opportunity to practice one’s own beliefs, but also to be educated about other religions if they desire to.  

Students are welcome to participate in whatever they choose, regardless of their beliefs.  

“There’s no pressure here,” says Fisher, who also teaches classes at the College of Arts and Sciences.

In the spring semester, she teaches a class on Eastern world religions, while in the fall she teaches one on Western world religions.

The Interfaith Center is open daily throughout the academic year and is located in Donahue, Room 540.