GLOW Boston caters to college students

Melissa Hanson, Journal Staff

GLOW Boston, an 18+ dance party, kicks off its weekly residency tomorrow at Think Tank in Cambridge.

Created by Northeastern senior Eric Spicuzza with the help of Suffolk senior Michael Gesualdi, GLOW Boston is a Thursday weekly event catered to Boston’s college students. The party features a rotating DJs spinning electro, house and top 40 remixes.  A typical GLOW Boston party is decorated with UV paint and black lights. Spicuzza said his greatest goal for the events is to create a “visually appealing place” by avoiding simplicity and boasting a custom lighting system.

Spicuzza said the idea for GLOW Boston came to mind about two years ago, stemming from his involvement playing in bands through high school to the beginning of college.  Travelling for shows as a member of multiple bands, he developed a passion for entertaining an audience with music they could dance to and enjoy.  As he travelled and performed, Spicuzza developed an interest in the way gigs were set up , which led to the idea of starting his own show to bring music to the public without encountering some of the issues his bands faced during their time together.

After planning the way music would be performed and in which settings, Spicuzza decided to make the party an 18+ event, especially given the few under 21 options in Boston. This is one of GLOW Boston’s most attractive draws, giving college students the opportunity to dance with their friends and meet others at a city night club without worrying about their age and illegal forms of identification.

“I wished I had a cool event to go to as a [college] freshman,” he said.

“With most college kids not being able to drink and legally [enter venues], everyone is always looking for something to do,” said Clayton Nickell, a Suffolk freshman and promoter for GLOW. “Thus, when you go up to them and say ‘hey there, wanna go mingle, socialize and jam to some great music by awesome DJs?’ the answer is usually, ‘absolutely!’”

Gesualdi handles the marketing, advertising and finances of GLOW Boston.   A long-time friend of Spicuzza, it was natural that he would help him create an ideal dance party for college students. Gesualdi has also handled promotions and DJ bookings.  He feels the popularity of electro/house sounds in a club is growing with time, thus making GLOW Boston the perfect attraction for the college crowd.

“We got it and we did it at the right time,” he said. “Everyone can go, and it gives the 18+ crowd a place to dress up and listen to house-type music.”

“House is my favorite subgenre of electronic music, and by focusing on that and top 40 remixes, the event very much caters to my musical tastes,” said Nickell. “I think that if you’re like me and trying to really get into the electronic dance music (EDM) scene, finding people who go to your school or are from the area and being able to network with them is pretty great.”

Nickell also added that seeing Suffolk students “as some of the masterminds” behind this party is inspiring.

GLOW Boston has been a popular outing for Boston’s undergraduate college population since its debut evening in July, which sold out hours before doors opened. Spicuzza said that at that moment, he realized he “stumbled onto something that could have some life.”

Before securing a weekly residency, events were monthly dance parties spread through the Boston/Cambridge area, including a Masquerade Halloween event.  Upcoming weeks include a “Little Black Dress” theme and a “White Out,” which will have Jay K the DJ and Damien Paul (White Rabbit/Wonderland) on the decks.

GLOW Boston Fall 2011 Promo from glow boston on Vimeo.