Suffolk named private university of the year

Alexa barrios, Journal Contributor

Suffolk University has been recognized as the 2011 Private University of the Year by the Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars in Washington D.C.

The Washington Center is an independent, nonprofit organization serving hundreds of colleges and universities in the United States and other countries. It is highly competitive and provides select students with opportunities to work and learn in Washington D.C. for academic credit.

“This award is in recognition, not simply of our relationship for the past year, but also for our many years of working cooperatively and smoothly together,” said Kenneth Greenberg, dean of Suffolk’s College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) department, who accepted the award last Monday. It acknowledges consistent and exceptional support provided to students who attend their programs.

“Many major American universities have an affiliation with the Washington Center,” said Greenberg, “and I believe any one of them were eligible to win the award.”

Some of the hundreds of private colleges and universities Suffolk was up against included Clark University, Emerson College, Vanderbilt University, and Washington College.

Suffolk has been working with the center since 1978 when Professor John Berg initiated the connection, and has been sending hundreds of students over since then. Many of Suffolk’s faculty in the Government Department have also been sent over to teach in their challenging programs. Suffolk also hosted the last program at the Democratic Presidential Nomination Convention in Boston.

According to Greenberg, the Washington Center offers Suffolk students a variety of opportunities in national politics and most importantly “allows our students to serve as interns in many key Federal offices.” Such internships include working for senators and congressmen, in cabinet offices, and other important administrative agencies. Some of the student interactions with policymakers and the media have been broadcasted on C-Span.

A few other internship opportunities include assisting attorneys during trial, organizing conferences, writing press releases, interviewing witnesses, assisting in television and radio productions, and many more. The Washington Center also has programs in London, England and Sydney, Australia, allowing interns the opportunity to work abroad.