Meet the OLs: Allison Duchacek ’12

Fresh out of her junior year, Allison Duchacek is returning as an orientation leader for this summer’s orientation sessions.  On her third and final summer as an orientation leader, Duchacek has now received the honor of becoming the Family Orientation Scholar, which allows her to select new orientation staff members.

Back when Duchacek’s freshman year was concluding, she found herself wanting to grow more involved on campus in a way she could make a difference.

“My Orientation Leaders and SU101 Teaching Assistant made a huge difference for me when I was a freshman adjusting to Suffolk. I wanted to make the same difference for new students and their families as well,” she said.

“I was an orientation leader the summer after my freshman year, in 2009. In the fall of 2010, I applied to be an Orientation Scholar, and have had that position since January 2011. Orientation Scholars help to hire the orientation staff, and two interns from the National Orientation Directors Association, as well as other tasks to prepare for orientation in June. I am the Family Orientation Scholar, and am very much looking forward to working with Family Orientation in June!”

Duchacek is majoring in international affairs, with minors in Spanish and history. Reigning from her hometown of Waterville, Vermont, the Suffolk senior has deemed Boston a comfortable environment.

“I grew up on a maple farm in a town with a population of 600. Coming to Boston was a huge transition, but I’ve fallen in love with the city. I currently live in the North End and it has truly become my home,” she said.

Duchacek has worked in the admissions office as a Trustee Ambassador since January 2009; she was a conference assistant with Residence Life and Housing during summer 2009. Along with becoming a Teaching Assistant for SU101, Duchacek has studied abroad twice (Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic and the International Center for Development Studies in San Jose, Costa Rica). With all of her on-campus responsibilities, Duchacek still finds the time to do things she enjoys, such as practicing yoga in the North End, exploring Boston and going on adventures.

The busy student has also spared time to complete an internship last summer with the Boston Debate League, which organizes and supports debate teams for Boston area schools, brings debate to the classroom, and facilitates debate tournaments. Duchacek was able to gain notable experience while working on volunteer recruitment and database management.

She enjoys being a student resource to new students and their families, having the satisfaction of calming worries all while making new members of the Suffolk community feel welcome.

“I’ve met all of my best friends through my involvement at Suffolk. Getting involved made the difference between Suffolk being my school to Suffolk being a community that I feel I am truly a part of. Suffolk has become my home,” she said. “My advice to new students is to join one club, or apply for one leadership position. Suffolk has a vibrant community of student leaders; you just have to allow yourself to be a part of it. And keep an eye out for events with free food, they’re everywhere!”