Baseball team fighting through tough stretch

After starting the season 5-4, the Suffolk University baseball team now find themselves with a record of 9-8 after losing four of six games during a tough stretch last week.

The good news for Suffolk is that all of the last week’s games were against non-conference opponents. Ultimately, the Rams’ opponents proved to have too much offense for the blue and gold to overcome, as they lost handily to UMass Boston and E. Connecticut State early in the week, then finished with close losses to Brandies and Bridgewater State University before receiving a much needed two day rest.

The high-scoring theme of March continued for the Rams into the last week of play, with the four games played adding up to 38-25 combined score. The one game that may have skewed this stat a bit was the tilt against Bridgewater State this past Thursday, where Suffolk lost, 12-11, while falling short of completing their ninth-inning rally on the road, where they scored five runs with just their last three outs of the game to spare.

The game proved to be an impressive showing for freshman Jake Cintolo, who went 5-for-5 at the plate with three runs batted in.  The Bears committed six errors during the game, ostensibly opening the door for a Rams’ come-from-behind victory. Ultimately, however, the seven runs scored by Bridgewater in the first three innings of play turned out to be too much for Suffolk to overcome.

The week ahead will provide a few more non-conference opponents for the Rams, who are desperately looking to show that last week was just a speed bump on their way to first place in the GNAC conference.

By far the most important games for Suffolk during this stretch will be played this coming weekend, when they take on conference rivals Johnson and Wales and Norwich University.

Johnson and Wales currently hold  the  No. 1 ranking in the GNAC, with 11-9-1 record.

Norwich is currently on the opposite end of the conference standings, with a 0-9 record on the season. The Rams will hope that the stagnant start to the season for the Cadets will continue during their double-header at home against Norwich.