Suffolk Men’s Hockey celebrates seniors, fall to Salve Seahawks

Leo Woods
Sophomore defenseman Thomas Dempsey gets set to take a shot during a game against Salve Regina University Feb. 9.

Suffolk University’s men’s hockey team recognized three seniors who have shaped the team throughout their time on the ice during the Rams’ game against the Salve Regina Seahawks Feb. 9.

Captain and defenseman Olle Akermark, defenseman Samuel Rand and forward Kyle Valiquette were recognized before the puck drop for their careers with the Rams. They were joined by loved ones, head coach Shawn McEachern and Suffolk President Marisa Kelly for photos on the ice.

Captain and graduate student Devin Lowe was also recognized for competing in 100 games as a Ram. He is the second player since 2000 to achieve this milestone, according to Suffolk Athletics.

A nail-biting game followed the ceremony, where the Rams kept neck and neck with the Seahawks until the third period. After an initial goal by Salve’s Logan Calder at 4:02, sophomore Alex Pratt, assisted by Lowe and freshman Joe O’Brien, sunk the puck into the net two minutes later. It was Pratt’s second goal in as many games.

The Seahawks were up by two at the first intermission, and the Rams came back to the ice with a fervor to even the score. On the power play 9:39 into the second period, freshman Jack Kircher scored his first collegiate goal with the assistance of Pratt and Lowe. Sophomore Matt Pimental, stationed in front of the net, rebounded a shot from Rand from the right-side blue line to tie the game at 16:01. It was Pimental’s first goal in a Suffolk uniform.

Suffolk hockey players celebrate after scoring a goal during a game against Salve Regina University Feb. 9. (Leo Woods)

Matthew Fawcett regained the lead for the Seahawks 1:28 into the third. Two more pucks hit the back of the net in the following 5:47, leaving the Rams in a 6-3 hole.

With 29 seconds remaining in regulation, Akermark brought the gap back to two with help from O’Brien and freshman Carter Schram, but the buzzer ended Suffolk’s comeback bid at a 6-4 final score.

McEachern praised the leadership of the seniors throughout the season and their commitment to being team players.

“We’ve gotten really good leadership out of our seniors, especially Olle Akermark and Devin Lowe. Olle had a goal tonight, which is great to see on senior night,” McEachern said.

Although the Rams ultimately fell to the Seahawks, McEachern said it was one of Suffolk’s best games this season, noting the many firsts for younger players.

“A number of guys played well … up front, Pimento had a nice goal, Pratt has goals in the last two games, so we got a lot of good energy out of a lot of guys,” McEachern said.

The Rams will play the Curry College Colonels at Curry Feb. 16 at 7 p.m. in their final Commonwealth Coast Conference matchup of the season.