Suffolk’s Latinas in Law brings representation to campus and beyond

Latinas in Law logo.
Latinas in Law logo.

According to the Hispanic National Bar Association, Latinas make up less than 2.5% of total lawyers in the United States. Here at Suffolk University, students are working to make that number climb.

Latinas in Law was founded by Co-President Bianca Clark Peniza, a sophomore psychology major. The idea for the club came to Peniza after she said she saw little Latinx representation in the professional field, as well as in the classroom.

“I wanted to create a safe space for Latina and Latinx students alike on campus to not only educate them on career-building information, but to build an organization to help push each other to get to where we want to be,” said Peniza.

Peniza said  while the club gives members access to the legal field within the Boston community, it also provides a sanctuary where students can explore their careers for the first time without judgment.

“We center our meetings around trust and mutual respect, so our meetings tend to be more informal, which I think helps members in feeling comfortable to voice any opinions they may have that we can help with,” said Peniza.

Stacy Munoz, Latinas in Law treasurer and a second-year undergraduate law major, said she felt nervous about finding new connections with other Latinx students after leaving high school.

Now,  Latinas in Law has allowed her to find her own cultural community within the student body.

“Getting involved in this club was a huge plus for me because that would mean I would be surrounded with other Latinas who had a passion for law,” Munoz said. “I would be meeting new Hispanic people around campus and that was really one of my goals coming into Suffolk.”

Both Peniza and Munoz agree that while taking on the leadership roles of a student club can be stressful, they maintain a constant drive to continue to give back to the Latinx community. Latinas in Law combined their ambitions to bring students together across cultures, as well as help members grow their knowledge of the legal world.

“L.I.L. impacts the Suffolk community through organizing events that cultivate community among students, while also providing important career information that some students might not be educated on,” Peniza said.

With more than 2,000 law firms located throughout the greater Boston area, according to Boston University School of Law, Latinas in Law has set the goal of helping students network with local institutions and build stepping stones toward their professional careers.

Along with resume building and an array of career-building opportunities, L.I.L. has helped members build new skills and confidence as they secure their spot in the law profession, a resource the club looks to continue providing to students.

“We have some really fun and interesting events coming up this semester,” said Peniza. “We’re currently organizing a panel of legal professionals, an internship workshop and we have some volunteering opportunities in the works.”

Munoz added that these abilities become essential when applying for new jobs and getting your name out there and that the club welcomes all students and new members to attend.

The E-board said it is open to students and new members of all identities to attend in order to highlight Latinx connections across campus and give back to the community while building legal expertise.

“Latinas in Law is a messenger for any important law school And legal information while being an advocate to amplify members’ voices,” Peniza said.