A letter from the editor

I was afraid when I became editor-in-chief in April 2020. 

I was worried my family would become sick with COVID-19. I was sad to be stuck alone in my childhood bedroom, rather than in a dorm with my best friends. I was anxious about the news I read and the news I reported, or if anyone would join The Journal come fall. 

I was afraid of what would come next.

But every Tuesday night, logging on to Zoom and settling myself down for the next six or seven hours to put together The Journal’s newsletter ironically became my way of unplugging from the world. 

New faces became familiar as they popped onto my screen in tiny boxes each week. You would think most of us being strangers, or budding friends at best, would make a Zoom production night as awkward as break-out rooms during class. I’m sure it was when I accidentally left a handful of new writers in one for an hour and a half on our very first Zoom, but they still kept coming week after week. Most of them are now editors and good friends. 

On those nights, I laughed harder than I have during many in-person interactions. I edited some of the most impactful student journalism I’ve seen in my eight years as a high school or college journalist, and I wrote some of the pieces that I’m most proud of. 

I won’t have Tuesday nights anymore. Not in the way I knew then, or the way I know now, with editors and writers crammed into our tiny office on the 9th floor of Sawyer. It’s sad to think about, but it’s OK. If there’s one thing journalism has taught me, it’s that change has to happen for a new story to be written. 

I’m no longer afraid of what the future might hold. Instead, I’m excited to see what my story -— and The Journal’s — will be next. 

To our writers and editors, thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your perseverance to spread truth, even when it isn’t pretty, and show what makes Suffolk a community is inspiring. Especially during a time when it so often feels impossible to do. 

To our adviser, Charlie St. Amand, thank you for giving me helpful guidance every time I’ve needed it and never failing to put a smile on our faces. In the edited words of the late-but-great Frank Sinatra, you helped us do it our way.  

To our managing editor, Emily Devlin, thank you for all of the behind-the-scenes work you’ve done to make The Journal a fully-functioning and fun group to be a part of. You’ve kept me sane and organized, all while being a great friend. 

Lastly, thank you to our readers. Whether you pick a copy up every week or occasionally check us out online, we appreciate your support. We do what we do for you. 

Journalism keeps us rooted in the world around us and, as I’ve found, also in ourselves. That doesn’t change if it’s a professional or student publication producing it. I’m proud of the work The Journal has done since I’ve stepped into this role, and I know I’ll keep being proud of it after Shealagh Sullivan takes over as editor-in-chief.

As long as The Journal is publishing, I’m confident that truth will continue to spread on Suffolk’s campus. 

All the best,  

Caroline Enos

Editor-in-Chief

Follow Caroline on Twitter!

@CarolineEnos