OPINION: Students should strive to be ambiverts

College students have become familiar with the concept of introverts and extroverts as a way to define who they are. However, labeling yourself as either could lead to mental anxiety and disappointment.

According to Healthline, being an introvert or extrovert is not black and white. It’s possible to transition from one to another. While extroverts gain energy from social environments, introverts gain energy from being inside their comfort zone.

In a college environment, introverts prefer to be alone and quiet. They like to work alone rather than in teams.  They also tend to stay home when extroverts join extracurricular activities. It can be hard to be an introverted student, as networking is essential to your success as a college student.

While they may benefit from their social skills, extroverted students also struggle in college because it is harder for them to focus on self-reflection. Learning from mistakes and failures is crucial when it comes to branding yourself for various employers.

Personally, I identify as an extrovert. I love meeting people and working in groups. However, I am also quiet and lack strong interpersonal skills, which makes me an introvert as well. It should not matter which side of the ranges you are on.

College should be a place of inclusivity fostered by new generations. There will be introverts and extroverts all around the campus. Regardless, everyone has imperfections and has things they can improve on. Introverts have to work on conversing with other people, while extroverts need to deal with their own self reflections.

“Ambivert” is a term that describes a position between introverts and extroverts. While labels do not matter, we should try to be as close to an ambivert as much as our personalities will allow. 

According to the BBC, Karl Moore, an associate professor of management at McGill University and associate fellow at Oxford University, has studied ambiverts for years. 

He estimates 40% of top business leaders are extroverts, 40% are introverts and 20% are “true ambiverts.”  

There are times that I wish I could mimic that person’s charm or that individual’s vibe, but that is not healthy. We all have different personalities paired with various experiences. All we can do is work on ourselves without side-by-side comparisons of others.   

A path towards success is not straight, only you can choose your path to success.