OPINION: Campus involvement is crucial to college experience

James Bartlett
Members of Rampage Show Choir at the 2021 Annual Involvement Fair.

As Suffolk University hits this semester’s midpoint, students are trying to spread their wings and explore new clubs and events on campus.

Being involved is crucial to your college experience. You will get the opportunity to network within the Suffolk community. While exploring new clubs, you can learn how to brand yourself for future job or internship opportunities. 

Decide what you want to do and what you need to do. Do you want to join a club that more relates to your major, or do you want to do something fun and different?  It may be beneficial to try different combinations that suit those needs.

Most events and club meetings at the university occur during activities hours, between 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays. 

Everything you have been involved with at the end of the school year will tell some kind of story. Even if it turns out to be a miss, you can always turn a bad experience into a learning experience.

Many Suffolk students and leaders are eager to welcome new members into their clubs.

“Why don’t you want to join clubs? It’s great for your resume. Go join,” said Peiyuan Sun, treasurer of Ascend, a cultural club on campus.

Joining clubs and meetings is a great way to meet strangers. After all, that is why you go to college. You entered to meet people, find friends or perhaps to fall in love.  Some might even say that strangers are just someone you haven’t had a chance to meet yet.

“Everyone should be involved. You get to learn leadership skills and you get to know more people. Plus, it’s super fun,” said law student Ahn Q. Khong.  

In addition to looking at the clubs I am interested in, I also look at the level of commitments each club requires and the level of obligations I want to give them. For The Suffolk Journal, I know I need to take a pitch, do research and write the article. The staff is understanding of attendance, so I can attend the sequential Finance Club and Beta Alpha Psi society meetings at the same time. 

Since Finance Club and Beta Alpha Psi allow me to sign up to listen to speakers, I can have e flexibility with them too.

One of the questions that people often ask me is, “How do you balance it all?” My answer is not only can you determine the level of commitment you are able to give to whichever club you want to give. It is within your power to maintain work and life balance. 

By joining clubs at Suffolk, you can contribute to others and others can contribute to you. Everyone wins.