CSA update: meetings and events keep commuters around campus

Angela Bray
Journal Staff

Although they’re not always on campus daily, there are opportunities to involve students commuting to Suffolk. The Suffolk University Commuter Student Association (CSA) works to welcome and unite all commuter students at the university, whether they’re living at home, or an apartment in or around the city.

“[CSA] is for students to meet people so they’re not coming to campus and staying just for classes,” said Skye Lewis, sophomore and CSA secretary. “When I was a freshman, I’d just come for class. Now I’m involved in everything.”

Lewis said the student organization has existed on campus for a while, “but really picked up last year.” The all-new E-board consists of three sophomores and one junior.

CSA co-sponsored a Food Fair on October 7 with the Suffolk University Hispanic Association (SUHA).

The most recent event was a Celtics game two weeks ago, for which tickets were sold to “get commuters to come and meet each other, rather than just go to meetings. It’s good to see new faces,” said Lewis. CSA sponsored the event with the help of Off-Campus Housing (OCHO).

Tickets were not only sold, but also raffled off at a CSA coffee event, where a table was set up on campus with coffee and donuts for students.

“Next semester we’ll be doing more coffee events here and there to get people to come out and meet us so we can meet them,” said junior Cate Connerty, CSA president.

“I was never more involved than I am now,” she said. “Getting involved is the best thing to do. It’s a great way to get into what’s going on around campus.”

CSA events are open to all students, although the current focus is to become more established and gain more commuter members, according to Lewis. A commuter social is a potential future event, as well as a Bingo night to bring commuter students together and stay after class has ended.

The latest CSA happenings are promoted via CSA’s Facebook page, Twitter account, SU Connect, and mass emails. New and existing members meet on a bi-weekly basis on Tuesdays in Donahue 220 during activities period. “It is great to join to meet others, like the students you walk by every day, but don’t know,” said Lewis.