Suffolk stands up for pink

Chelsea Szmania
Journal Contributor

When the leaves change color, pink becomes a prominent symbol worldwide. Celebrating 25 years, National Breast Cancer Awareness month has made its annual visit to Suffolk University. Last Thursday, “Stand Up For Pink” was held in the Ridgeway Gym to kick off the month by raising awareness within the Suffolk community. Over 300 students and faculty members packed into the gym.

The kickoff began with the distribution of pink T-shirts, which ran out in minutes. Following were speeches and thanks given out to the various supporters, including the Athletic and Health and Wellness departments. Attendees organized for a human ribbon photo and enjoyed a buffet laid out by a number of local Boston businesses.

Liz Drexler-Hines, the assistant director of Health and Wellness at Suffolk, explained the event’s importance. “It’s affecting younger women at a higher rate,” she said.

As breast cancer becomes more and more common amongst women, it becomes more significant for students to be knowledgeable on the subject.

Many felt an abundant amount of support from the college with the widespread effort of the faculty, including President Sargent who has always helped lead the event in years past. “They were really good at getting the awareness out,” said freshman Mia Dangorn.

Sophomore Steve Zanette felt like Suffolk hit the mark with the message being relayed. “I think it’s important for people to be aware.”

Norine Bacigalupo, an eight-year breast cancer survivor, was a speaker at the event. Bacigalupo, an adjunct professor for the communications department and an active member of the Breast Cancer Awareness committee has made it her mission to do her sister, Barbara, justice by raising awareness. After Barbara passed from breast cancer, she kept asking herself what she could do. Bacigalupo finally decided to get a mammogram, and was shortly after diagnosed with breast cancer. However, she survived the disease and owes it all to her older sister and her best friend.

“She’s been the driving force in my life,” said Bacigalupo.

Since then, she has done work in the environmental public relations field as well as continuing to teach students despite her rheumatoid arthritis. In addition, she has been making strides to create breast cancer awareness with the help of the university. “I can’t change the world, but I can certainly do something about Suffolk.”

Although President Sargent was unexpectedly unable to attend the event, she praises him for his constant support of the event since the very beginning. Bacigalupo said she couldn’t have been happier with the outcome of this year’s “Stand Up For Pink,” especially with the amount of college boys proudly wearing their pink shirts in the Ridgeway Gym.

“I finally, after all these years, found a way to honor my sister’s dying wishes,” said Bacigalupo.