VSU sends aid, hopeful for peace in Venezuela

Venezuelan feet marched on the pavement, cries of outrage that could be heard for miles and colorful cardboard signs rose high in the air were seen worldwide. Speculation of government instability, political protests and the economy are some reasons why Venezuelan citizens have taken to the streets in protest.

The Venezuelan students at Suffolk have responded to this political outcry through the Venezuelan Student Union (VSU). Guillermo Sosa, the current chief logistics manager of the VSU, is part of the E-board for the event planning process. Sosa’s position includes organizing events as well as recruiting new members and staff to coordinate events.

The partnered cause, “Acción x Causa” (Action x Cause) is a social movement that was created by the president of the VSU with the purpose of creating different cultural events with the goal of fundraising, which will be designated to purchase items of basic necessity in Venezuela. This goal will consist of uniting different universities within the international community with the mission of uniting forces to create a substantial impact against the humanitarian crisis in Venezuela. Due to the VSU President currently being in Venezuela, The Journal’s attempts to contact him were unsuccessful.

According to the Student Government Association president, Daniel Gazzani, a total of ten boxes containing 320 pounds of supplies were ultimately sent over.

“The boxes were sent to Miami which would then be sent to Venezuela. The results have not yet been reported since we have heard of the National Guard stepping in and attempting to block supplies from coming in to help the general public,” said Gazzani.

VSU is hopeful that all the aid they’ve sent to Venezuela will truly make a difference.

“The idea was to help Venezuela people in the current crisis we are facing. The project was to collect as many first aid products and over the counter medicine as soon as possible to be sent to Venezuela to help the lack of primary health products,” said Sosa.

Venezuelan President Maduro is seen by some as leading a kleptocratic regime. The government is actively using tear gas on protesters. Months of anti-government protests have already left more than 50 civilians dead.  Venezuela right now is facing the worst crisis of its history, The lack of basic needs such as toilet paper and substantial food.

“Living in Venezuela right now is challenging and emotionally devastating. The insecurity and the corruption in the country are worst every day,” said Sosa. “People are fighting to live each day and trying to get some food to their houses, a mission that is almost impossible. Having friends and family in Venezuela knowing the are fighting for their freedom but not knowing if they are going to get back alive or get home back safely is emotionally devastating.”