Who’s who in the senior class

Article by: Angela Bray

Brandilee Panebianco, Suffolk U News

Suffolk senior Brandilee Panebianco has already broken into the sports journalism industry. The Broadcast Journalism major has interned in production at ESPN Boston, at Red Sox Pre- and Post-games with NESN, and in the sports department at WHDH Channel 7 Boston.

“I am very into sports, a big sports fan” said Panebianco. What could be better than meeting interesting people? With Channel 7, I got to interview Celtics players,” she said. She also met Jerry Remy, MLB broadcaster and former player.

Last semester, Panebianco was the sports director of Suffolk U News, a live and weekly student-run newscast. The class, also offered as an internship, consists of students directing, producing, and reporting. She expressed pride in Suffolk U News’ past Rammy Award recognitions; the Fall 2009 team earned the award for Hard News Reporting.

“Suffolk U News became my life,” she said. She is not doing Suffolk U news this semester because an internship at WHDH takes up most of her time. “I never have free time!” When she has free time, sleeping, hanging out with friends, and being outside are at the top of the list.

This summer, she is seeking a job and hoping to stay in the Boston area. Currently in the application process, Panebianco is hoping to be hired “ideally at a sports station, like NESN or ESPN” following graduation. “I am not limiting my options,” she said, “but the only job I ever wanted was to be a reporter.” With her internships, she has been fortunate enough to become exposed to radio, sports, and news stations.

Panebianco has experience interning during both the summer and the school year. “It’s very difficult, especially since it is unpaid and requires at least 25 hours per week,” she said. “But an internship is a great opportunity to make connections and networking experiences. You just need to bite the bullet.”

She was given the best advice about the industry when she had the opportunity to interview Charlie Gibson, a broadcast TV anchor and journalist. “He said to give it ten years, and stick with it if you end up making progress in those ten years,” said Panebianco.

Along with Gibson’s advice, she also has her own to pass on to students striving for success in the journalism industry, whether broadcast or print. “Get internships, continue to network, and meet new people,” she said. “You also need a lot of self-motivation.”

In addition to her involvement with Suffolk’s Boston campus, she studied a semester abroad at the Dakar campus and two weeks in Prague. “Traveling is such an eye-opening experience, and I really think you can only find out about yourself once you’ve been submerged entirely in another culture,” she said. “That’s probably what I’m happiest about doing while here at Suffolk; I took advantage of all opportunities, from traveling to internships.”

Jordan Nye, SGA

Jordan Nye, originally from Milford, NH,  is a Political Science major and a member of Pi Sigma Alpha, the national political science honor society.

For each of his four years at Suffolk, the senior student has lived off-campus in a different area. He enjoyed them all, yet they all had their differences. The North End was the most convenient, Cambridge wasn’t a bothersome commute, and Allston wasn’t as easy as the others. Nye currently lives in the Back Bay near Symphony Hall, which is not far from campus. “I would say the best two to live would be Cambridge and the Back Bay, especially since there is always something to do around both areas,” he said.

As a freshman, Nye, along with two of his friends, started the Suffolk Mock Trial team. He served as Treasurer on the organization up until his junior year. In addition, he has been an active member of the SGA all four years and is a student representative to the College of Arts and Sciences Alumni Board. Nye is currently Chair of the Senior Week committee and Senior class speaker.

Nye is also a CSA peer mentor. “It’s like an on-campus job,” he said. “I mentor freshmen, transfers, and any students who need help.”

Outside of Suffolk, Nye has had seven internships. His first internship was during freshman year. He interned for the State Senate at the Massachusetts State House. The next brought him to the Edward Angell Palmer and Dodge law firm in Boston. He moved on to intern at the Boston Lawyers Group, the Mintz Levin law firm, and as a research assistant at MIT.

“One of my greatest experiences was first semester of junior year, when I went to D.C. and worked with the U.S. attorney’s office,” said Nye. While in D.C., he went to court every day, and had the opportunity to work on homicide and sex crimes. This past semester, he worked in Senator John Kerry’s office.

Nye currently holds a manager’s position, also called a “crew leader,” with the U.S. Census. “I just started, and am managing a group of about 20 people,” he said. “I make sure everyone does quality work and that they get paid.” He plans on continuing his census work throughout the summer. “It is a great opportunity, and guarantees forty hours per week.”

“I have always wanted to go to law school, and I will definitely stay in the field,” said Nye. He is planning on enrolling in law school in D.C., hopefully at American University. “I may end up taking a year off to work for a politician, but I’m not sure who yet.”

Further down the road, Nye plans to go into public interest law. “I’m also interested in environmental work and international law,” he said. “I would have minored in environmental studies if I had the chance.” He is currently writing his thesis on North Korean refugees in China.

“Take advantage of different opportunities and experience as much as possible,” he advises other students in the same field of interest. “Do as much work, interning, and networking as you can. To get a job, it is not just your resume, but also experiences; it is  probably 25 percent what you know and 75 percent who you know.”

With so much on his plate, from schoolwork to internships, there is one thing Nye wishes he could have done: “I wish I had time to volunteer; more volunteer work would have been great,” he said.

“I loved college and it was a great time, but I’m excited to graduate,” he said. “I can’t wait to move onto new experiences in a new city.”