Students celebrate their Journey

Brigitte Carreiro/Journal Staff

Brigitte Carreiro

The Journey Program, which incorporates the entire university in building leadership and community, celebrates the variety of retreats, events, and the students involved in them every year. On Tuesday, the Suffolk Law School filled up as prominent student leaders gathered to receive their awards, ranging from unsung heroes to notable student organizations.

Dave DeAngelis, director of the Office of Student Leadership and Involvement, presented slideshows from the many leadership exchanges he led throughout the year, including the Leadership Winter Break trip to Florida in January and the Leadership Spring Break excursion to Barbados in March.

A dedication video to Dean Nancy Stoll was also presented to commemorate Stoll on her time at Suffolk and extend the best wishes to the dean for her upcoming retirement. Student leaders such as Colin Loiselle, Jonathan McTague, Jose Toledo and Joseph Nordlie were among those to speak on Stoll’s behalf.

In presenting Stoll with the award for Outstanding Dedication to Students, DeAngelis reflected on the first time he led Leadership Winter Break, which incorporates swimming with manatees in its skill-building program. During the program’s first trip, manatees were nowhere to be found, but according to DeAngelis, Stoll encouraged subsequent trips anyway, showing her dedication to student leadership.

“Dean Stoll has served students tirelessly throughout her tenure and makes herself accessible to all students, dedicating countless weekends, nights and hours. I cannot think of a better role model,” said DeAngelis.

In addition to Stoll’s award, the Outstanding Student Leader Awards recognized Loiselle and Enu Onerno Mkparu as the two recipients.

Of Loiselle, Stoll said, “This year’s ongoing storyline regarding the institution’s leadership thrust SGA and Colin, specifically, in the spotlight,” citing a “tough year where accountability [was] vital.”

Toledo and Bailey Damron also accepted the awards for Greek Man and Woman of the year.

Among other recognitions was the Who’s Who Awards, which acknowledged students who have achieved academic excellence and notable contributions to diverse service throughout their time at Suffolk.

Monica Caggiano, Ruby Courchesne, Amy DalCanton, Tina Frosinos, Kimberly Mariano, and Mayra Morales accepted the Ram Excellence Award, each of which DeAngelis said “knows what it means to be a Ram.”

All seniors who have officially completed Journey were also presented with certificates for their achievement and induction into the Omicron Delta Kappa Honor Society.

Assistant Dean of Students John Silveria took a moment to support the SLI staff.

“Think about where this program was when Dave started it to where it is today. It’s night and day,” he said.