Americans too busy to care about religion

Clevis Murray, Journal Staff

By Flickr user Waiting By The Word

Times are changing. Sex, partying, and drinking is what this young generation does religiously. In the past, religion was the center of most people’s lives. It was a norm in the United States to attend church on Sunday’s and pray daily.

In 2015, society seems to be more accepting that people have different interpretations of life and structured religion seems to be a declining aspect of daily life in the U.S. while in other parts of the world it appears to still be a focus.

“Non-existent really,” said sophomore Suffolk student, Mudia West-Idahosa on religion in America.

“In America you have so many atheists. While in Nigeria, from the moment you’re born, you’re a part of a religion,” said West-Idahosa.

Mudia does have a point. Atheism has increased eight percent from 16.1 percent in 2007 to 22.8 percent in 2014, according to the Pew Research Center. As one could imagine, with an increase in atheism, one of the dominating religions like Christianity may suffer as a result.

Courtney Colaluca, Suffolk junior, who isn’t very religious, acknowledged that there seems to be some sort of shift in the U.S. regarding religion. “People who can’t identify because they’re either agnostic or atheist, that number is also growing,” she said.

Perhaps due to a lack of appeal or strict upbringings boredom or apathy, there does seem to be a divide between younger and older generations on support of religion.

In the U.S., religion is fading away like the direct, interpersonal skills of the current generation. In places such as Nigeria though, it’s still very prevalent.

“Religion in Nigeria is more traditional based,” first-year Suffolk student Laughter Emmanuel said on the religion differences between America and her native Nigeria.

Society is evolving and becoming more aware of sensitive and taboo topics of the 21st century.

The U.S. is becoming more accepting of things that people shouldn’t take personally, which would lead to one question, why support religion?

Many reasons can be made as to why there’s an evident increase, but Dr. Robert Rosenthal, head of the communication and journalism department sees the increase from a different point of view.

“The latest survey data of [this] generation and the millennial’s says that fewer people are going to church,” said Rosenthal.

“But they also say there’s an increase in people who consider themselves having spirituality or spiritual,” said Rosenthal.“What that tells me is that organized religion maybe not be as important to them, but the idea of some sort of religious belief is.”

The current young adults are enamored with the idea of being free and living in a hook-up culture. If they were to believe in a religion, it would involve them following a set of rules or ideals.

I doubt that the majority of young adults would want to hold off having sex until marriage like the bible states. If they were to do so, they would either be looked at crazy.

Even with the younger, tech-savy generation may not be extremely religious, Houston Texans running back Arian Foster opened up to ESPN about the struggles of being an atheist.

Religion brings communities together and in a digital world it is no surprise that religion and a sense of community has suffered.

It’s possible that with the surge of technology and constant mental and physical stimulation from our online sources and media outlets that we don’t have time for religion.

How can one know their spiritual side when they are mentally and physically preoccupied all of the time?

“I think that Christianity as a mainstream religion in the United States is declining, because of this new population that’s super diverse,” said Colaluca.

Unless the second coming of Jesus happens, expect Christianity, or just religion amongst Americans, to diminish. Everything but religion is advertised or preached.

What was once a common thing to do, is becoming extinct in a country that brags about “In God We Trust” on all of its currency. It’s a mere formality that Christianity continues to decrease, especially with more American’s being open to other religions such as Buddhism, Islam, and Hinduism.