Armenian coalition in Boston area

Craig Martin

If any student has ever been interested in traditional foods and networking with people of their culture in the Boston area, the Armenian Student Association is the club to join.

Lori Yogurtian told the Journal in an interview that she had started the club when she first came to Suffolk along with others who were interested in the culture.

“I founded this club with my friends Tatevik and Anahit during my freshman year three years ago,” said Yogurtian.

Yogurtian explained that the number of people who were interested in the culture at Suffolk during her freshmen year was enough to start the organization.

“Creating the club opened doors to have social events with other organizations and universities,” said Yogurtian.

She told the Journal in an interview that the ASA formed right around the same time as other organizations from Boston schools, creating a partnership.

“We all started collaborating, which created a Greater Boston ASA Coalition,” she said.

Ani Hollisian, the current president of the club, explained the partnership and their interactions outside of the school setting.

“We try to work with other ASA’s around the Boston area and have co-hosted social events with Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Services University and Boston College,” said Hollisian.

“On campus we have participated in international night.  At the end of every semester since we have been established as a club there has been a social at a restaurant or function hall where all the ASA’s come together for a night of dinner, dancing, and fun.  There have always been lots of Armenian dinners in the past.”

Craig Martin/Journal Staff

She explained the organization is involved in all different aspects of the culture such as learning about the ancient history and eating different traditional meals to education, attending lectures, networking, and participating in volunteer opportunities.

Yogurtian and Hollisian emphasized anyone who does want to join has a flexible level of commitment.

“It’s a very laid back club that doesn’t require a ton of involvement but the more involvement the better,” Yogurtian said.

Hollisian said the club is open-ended.

“You don’t have to be Armenian to join,” said Hollisian. “Everyone can and should join, because everyone can honestly find something that they want to get out of this.”

The club has close to 25 members, not including their faculty advisor Ken Martin from the Communication and Journalism department.

As the ASA nears the end of the semester, they look forward to their yearly events on and off the Suffolk campus.

“On campus, we are participating in International National Night as well as we are hosting an Armenian Dance Night,” said Hollisian. “This is where we are bringing in dancers from a local Armenian Dance Company, Sayat Nova to teach dance.”

As for club members, they will be able to enjoy the kebab nights that will be hosted throughout fall and spring semester as well as the annual dinner and social on Nov. 13 with the rest of the ASA in the Greater Boston area.