Success for first PC event on Roemer Plaza

By Elizabeth Hadley and Andrew Navaroli

On a typical weekday Roemer Plaza is swarmed with students and teachers, but on Wednesday, the plaza was transformed into a roller skating rink courtesy of Program Council.

Led by PC’s Entertainment Chair, junior Peter Firek, beginners and seasoned pros alike raced onto the rink for a night of fun with friends, many sweating by the end of the evening.

Although the event ran between 5 and 7 p.m., students came and went throughout the night. Senior Associate Dean of Students Ann Coyne also came out to enjoy some skating.

Many fell, but everyone got right back up, not letting a little bruise ruin their evening.  Some even skated the full two hours. Still others attempted dancing in their skates while speakers blasted both modern and throwback hits.

Senior Thomas Burke said he enjoyed the university’s skating event.

“It was a lot of fun to make new friends and hang out with old ones,” he said.

Freshman Brandon Simas said he related to Burke.

“It was a good way for the community to get together and get to know one another,” he said.

20 Somerset’s plaza offers a great addition to Suffolk University to create more of a community for the students and faculty. Many students felt as if Suffolk had not had much of a community hang-out spot until this fall, and it is widely agreed that 20 Somerset and Roemer Plaza finally give Suffolk a nice place to relax, work, and have fun with friends.

(Left to right) Senior Courtney Colaluca, junior Brooke Waugh, Dean Ann Coyne, and Assistant Director of SLI Alex Paterson linked arms and took a spin around the rink. Courtesy of Journal Contributor.

“It feels like Suffolk University has a community for the first time ever,” Burke said.

Simas said that utilizing Roemer Plaza is a step in the right direction for Suffolk.

“It is a good strategy for community engagement, which will build loyalty and keep up retention rates, which will do well for the university in the long run,” he said.

Simas said he now wants to come to the plaza more throughout the year.

“I plan to spend time here between classes and enjoy lunch,” he said.

Burke said he has already taken advantage of these opportunities.

“I love reading and hanging out here before class,” he said.

He also took note of  the view from Roemer Plaza.

“It is fantastic, and the plaza is very nice to look at walking by,” he said.

Program Council has plans for more events, and will hopefully take advantage of Roemer Plaza and 20 Somerset more throughout the rest of the year.