Global Business students visit Brazil for travel seminar

For seven days in December, two professors and 15 students will take a trip to South America to immerse themselves in global businesses in Brazil.

The Global Travel Seminars are overseen by Sawyer Business School dean’s office and SBS faculty, and recently but the Center for International Programs and Services and Hillary Sabbagh, the study abroad advisor, have become involved in their planning.

Sabbagh and the center are currently planning a seminar trip to Brazil in December for the first time. Former trips were offered in May or during spring break.

Linked with a global business elective for both undergraduate and graduate students who have a travel requirement as they work toward their Global Business MBA, the trip is run by Associate Professor and Chair of Strategy of the International Business Department, Carlos Rufin.

Before embarking on their journey to Brazil, students will  be required to take three pre-class sessions, which will help provide with a foundation of knowledge of the destination, and then a post-travel course where they complete their main project.

Images taken by Bill Dolan in Brazil this past March while students were on city tours.

During their time in Brazil, they will connect classroom learning to real world experiences by meeting global business leaders, visit four to six businesses from small startups to multinational corporations, and, of course, the enjoy their time overseas in Brazil.

While visiting businesses, the professors have connections with, students will sit in on conferences and meetings as they network with global business leaders.

Bill Dolan, who double majored in Business and History with a concentration in Latin America and Spanish, is working toward his Juris Doctor degree in International Law at Suffolk Law School. He went on the seminar trip this past March in Brazil for a few different reasons, one being that his area of concentration was always Latin America.

“I thought the trip would give a good overview on business in Brazil,” said Dolan. “It also seemed like an attractive resume line.”

Dolan said he wouldn’t mind doing international finance overseas after his education after visiting the local businesses in Brazil and saw how they operated.

“My experience in Brazil was an unforgettable one,” said Dolan. “It gave me an international perspective to succeed in a global business environment.”

When the students aren’t in conferences and networking for their future career, the trip takes them on a series of cultural activities such as city tours, group dinners with authentic cuisine, and theater performances.

Dolan said he was truly amazed by the Paratay, which is a green corridor that runs along the coastline of Rio de Janeiro, located on the Costa Verde.

“It was the most beautiful place on Earth,” said Dolan. “Even Brazilians are amazed at Paraty.”

The information session for the next Brazil travel seminar will be April 28 from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. in Sawyer 1125.

Correction: An earlier version of this article did not properly state the involvement of the Sawyer Business School in this program.