Come enjoy some ‘joie de vivre’ with the French Club

By Sylvain Gaulier

If you want to learn more about the French culture or enhance your French language skills, the French Club is the perfect place to go.

The French Club meets every Tuesday at 1 p.m. in Sawyer 1108 to explore the French art de vivre through movies, games, and lively discussions.

“Our activities are varied and diverse with the aim of having a great time and enriching our knowledge of the French language and the culture of some French speaking countries in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere at times,” said club president, Jean Kemayi.  Some of these activities include board games such as Taboo, multilingo, and Scrabble.

The French Department created the French Club in 2009 “to be an effective learning support” for all Suffolk students interested in French and the French-speaking countries. Not only is the club focused on the French culture, but it is tackling a number of cultural dimensions in other French speaking countries such as Belgium, Switzerland or Canada.

Courtesy of the French Club

Every year, Suffolk University welcomes more French-speaking students. They come from a wide variety of countries such as Senegal, Belgium, or Mali. They are ambassadors of the French language and may serve as a liaison between the French Club and Suffolk students learning French. Because of their different backgrounds, they provide a unique perspective of their culture and mother language.

According to the Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie (OIF), French is the fifth most spoken language in the world with about 274 French speakers.

About 10 to 15 students regularly go to the French Club meetings, Kemayi said. Even though most of these students are majoring in French, the French Club hosts all students yearning for improving their knowledge of the French language. The French Club aims to provide a hands-on opportunity to practice French in a relaxing environment.

The club faced a major budget issue this year. They had to review their agenda as their budget had been cut off, according to Kemayi. In addition, the French Club faces a lot of competitors among the other Suffolk clubs. Many other clubs meet at the same time, therefore, the French Club e-board members worked even harder this semester to organize a large array of attractive events.

This semester, the French Club hosted the famous French writer and screen director Francis Perrin. Kemayi was proud to have an eminent figure of the French theater scene coming to the university. He then assisted to the actor’s performance who drew an accurate painting of playwright Moliere in a one-man show presented by Suffolk University.

Kemayi said, “The play was presented in French with English subtitles followed by a discussion.” Moreover, the French Club played the acclaimed musical 1789 Les Amants de la Bastille. and a movie based on Marie-Antoinette’s life.

Next semester, the French Club plans to play TV show Question pour un Champion. This general knowledge contest is highly popular in the French-speaking countries. It might be attended by the French Consul. The French Club will celebrate Valentine’s Day with some French loving-words, have a cooking 101 session, make crepes for Mardi Gras, and head to Quebec.