Faculty salaries on hold until November

Suffolk University professors will see a freeze on their salary starting next month and lasting until November, according to an email sent to employees Wednesday, which was followed by an email from the university president earlier this month.

The email, obtained by the Journal, said that the 2015 fiscal year, which begins July 1, will bring a hold on equity salary increases.

Three university deans and human resources are making decisions based off data gathered by the university’s compensation consultant as well as the university’s budget. However, the email, which was sent by Interim Provost Bernard Keenan, said Suffolk is “committed to salary equity within rank and discipline.”

Keenan said the salary freeze is the first step in a multi-year process to achieve equity goals.

“The [fiscal year 2015] equity salary increases will not benefit all full-time faculty, rather only those whose current salary is in most need of adjustment as determined by market data,” said Keenan in the email. “Work on the salary equity project for university administrative and support staff members will commence this summer, as scheduled.”

On June 2, President James McCarthy emailed faculty to say the fiscal year budget had been approved by the Board of Trustees and that salary increases would not be an option. McCarthy cited a drop of $11.2 million in revenue and reductions in enrollment as factors of the decision.

“While I realize that this decision will be unpopular, please understand that we are committed to future salary increases, and that remains a top priority,” McCarthy wrote.

A university spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for more information.