Meet the new faces of SGA

President-elect Tyler LeBlanc with Dean Nancy Stoll
(Photo courtesy of Tyler LeBlanc)

When Tyler LeBlanc wakes up every morning, he commutes to Suffolk just as a majority of the student body does. This is why LeBlanc, next year’s Student Government Association president, wants to continue the progress made this year to keep commuter students involved on campus.

LeBlanc, the current treasurer, is motivated to continue the success he said Billy Cerullo had this year as the student body’s voice. Behind him, LeBlanc will have the resilient e-board to hear the concerns of students and hopefully find solutions to their problems.

Much of LeBlanc’s time with SGA has been spent managing the budget, working initiatives, and making himself available when clubs needed help. He has also worked to cut down registration problems and on creating an overall air of transparency.

“Everybody has their own touch,” he said. LeBlanc wants to keep cutting down the number of clubs who fail to register or submit budget proposals. His plan? An open door policy that will make SGA “as accessible as possible.”

This summer, LeBlanc hopes to plan for the next year of SGA and to go barefoot water skiing.

Vice President-elect Colin Losielle
(Photo courtesy of Colin Losielle)

Starting in the fifth grade, Colin Loiselle jumped head first into one of his passions: student government. The now sophomore and political science major has been working with the Student Government Association since his freshman year and will be Vice President starting in the fall.

One of his proudest moments with SGA this year was working on a town hall event on campus. Currently a class senator and chair of the housing and facilities committee, Loiselle put great efforts into working with the Suffolk University Police Department to keep campus safe, facilities to keep the dorms in shape, and with Sodexo to create a rotating menu.

“We did a really good job at giving students a venue to express those concerns,” he said. “We had a turnout much greater than we imagined we’d have.”

Loiselle also spent a large amount of time at the beginning of the year working on operation paper cut.

“We wanted to make sure it wasn’t going to place an undue burden on students,” he said.

Loiselle hopes to take his experiences with SGA into the world and get involved with town and state government. A self-proclaimed “politics nerd,” Loiselle’s favorite politician is Ronald Reagan.

Treasurer-elect Rakan Alzaydi
(Photo courtesy of Rakan Alzaydi)

When Rakan Alzaydi came to Suffolk from Saudi Arabia, he wasn’t sure what to expect about the city and living alone for the first time. Now at the end of his junior year, Alzaydi, next year’s Student Government Association treasurer, loves the way Boston accepts everyone and hopes to channel more international involvement into SGA.

Alzaydi has previously served students as a class of 2015 senator, a member of the academic committee and the finance committee. An accounting and finance major, Alzaydi has plans to work with student clubs next year.

“I want to make change,” he said. “There’s always room for improvement here at Suffolk.”

This year with SGA, Alzaydi worked with budgeting initiatives, and trying to enhance the professor evaluation process.

“SGA is only as strong as its members,” he said, noting that the current e-board has inspired him to do more with Suffolk and SGA.

When not serving the students of Suffolk through SGA, Alzaydi is serving himself home cooked meals from a variety of cultures. He also enjoys football and hockey and hopes to own his own consulting firm in Saudi Arabia sometime after graduation.

Secretary-elect Dennis Harkins with James Helenski
(Photo courtesy of Dennis Harkins)

Dennis Harkins is a runner and a traveler. He’s also a junior and the senator-elect for the Student Government Association. Like many Suffolk students, Harkins is a commuter and a motived student. The marketing and management double major has held a variety of positions with SGA and can’t wait to take on his role as secretary.

Harkins was a write in for the class of 2015 senator and quickly was helping on different SGA boards.

“I’ve been really happy to have held a variety of positions in SGA already, and it’s been a great experience to work with members of Academic Committee this semester,” Harkins said.

The biggest strength of SGA in Harkin’s mind is its ability to be the voice of the student body. Its biggest weakness? The lack of a commuter task force. Harkins believes this will be easy to fix next year.

“I consider myself to be very open-minded and dedicated to the different positions I hold on campus. At the same time though, I like to bring in a lot of humor and a positive attitude into everything that I do,” he said.

After graduation, Harkins plans to attend graduate school to pursue an MBA or JD.