Suffolk’s SUprise Event Crew pops up on campus to spur involvement

On a campus where getting involved is the biggest message thrown students’ way, Suffolk’s SUprise Event Crew knows just what to do.

This group of four students, headed by Student Leadership and Involvement Director David DeAngelis and Office Coordinator Nicole Dygon, pops up all over campus at random, hosting events in order to get more students involved with one another. SEC is new as of the fall semester, and are planning on growing and inspiring all over campus.

“We look at unique populations of students that we want to see get more involved and plan an event for them,” said DeAngleis. The four SEC students are members of SLI and paid as work study to help plan and then host these surprise events.

“How they do it is by … organically show up and do events somewhere,” DeAngelis easily explained.

(Photo courtesy of SEC Twitter)

Last Wednesday, SEC headed to the fourth floor of Donahue with a doughnut machine in order to promote Unity Week.

Patrick Mannion, Kaity Perkett, and Fallon Rice stood with powdered sugar at their feet, making doughnuts for hungry students looking to get involved.

“We like to spread happiness and put a smile on people’s faces,” said Mannion, a law major. The three chatted about their passion for involvement on campus and how it is not just public relations majors that can help plan events and promote participation in a place as diverse as Suffolk.

Perkett said SEC’s biggest goal is to “try to give students a place to get involved,” as she echoed that it is a rewarding feeling to see smiles on students faces during their surprise events.

“It’s not your typical work study job,” DeAngelis said. “We’re looking for students who are good ambassadors who are creative and like to plan events.”

SEC gets together each week to plan events for two weeks in advance, DeAngelis said. Often, these surprise events include some kind of food or snack, and a short tutorial on using SU Connect to get more involved.

SEC’s biggest accomplishment last semester was bringing pizza to the New England School of Art and Design. They surprised art students the week before Suffolk’s first homecoming, and cultivated a lot more participation from NESAD, whose students often feel segregated from the rest of campus.

“People said that if it wasn’t for that we wouldn’t have had that much NESAD engagement,” DeAngelis said.

SEC has also had success working with student athletes, the residence halls, commuters, the College of Arts and Sciences, and international students, DeAngelis said. “We try to mix it up so it’s not the same old blow the dust off the binder and do the same thing.”

“Involvement starts by going to events,” he said. DeAngelis hopes SEC has helped people stay involved in between events like the Temple Street and the winter involvement fairs. “It will give them the fire, the fuel, to get involved on campus.”

Although SEC is just composed of four students this year, DeAngelis said he would be open to expanding the club to eight or 12 members.

With coming years, SEC will hopefully “grow to bigger and better,” DeAngelis said. “We just want to continually educate.”