ISSO’s Center for International Programs and Services helps students adapt to life in Boston

By Pierre Bono

Suffolk University is home to a large community of international students from over 100 countries. In order to effectively accommodate such a wide range of cultures, languages, and previous educational experiences, Suffolk operates a comprehensive and well-staffed Center for International Programs and Services (C.I.P.S.).

This center, located on the sixth floor of 73 Tremont, houses a staff trained to support new students via personal interactions and services geared generally towards cultural adjustment and assimilation into American academia. However, even beyond comfort and confidence on and off campus, C.I.P.S. provides students with seminars that go beyond the classroom and the area surrounding their apartments or dorms. Proper interview skills, job opportunities, and tax preparation workshops are made available.

C.I.P.S. recently held Immigration 101, a general, as well as mandatory, introduction to the “American way” that covered topics such as dealing with culture shock and homesickness, classroom etiquette, and inter-peer relations. Susanna Lynch, the assistant director of international programs and outreach, led the presentation. Primarily interactive and discussion based, the presentation was punctuated by audio-snippets from current international students voicing their own concerns coming to a new environment.

“It was very hard for four months, I would go from class directly home. I never did anything, so you could say it was tough for a while,” one of the audio clips said.

Problems of loneliness, going from class to home everyday, difficulties reconciling expectations with reality in terms of academics, and assimilation into American classrooms were brought up. One by one, Lynch moved through these various issues that may come to affect students as they acclimate to school in a new country.

Categorized as a gradual up-and-down cycle of enthusiasm and fatigue she emphasized that the difficulties are typical. At first, most international students will go through the “honeymoon” phase, characterized by excitement and enthusiasm to be abroad. Following the “honeymoon” phase typically comes homesickness and cultural fatigue. Often students begin to miss their friends, family, and even their favorite meals. After four to five weeks students will long for the comfort and familiarity of their home country.

“We don’t have the same definition of city life, even the way of learning is different,” said one student in attendance.

Furthermore, academic or social struggles will compound on one another and stress will begin to negatively affect a student’s experience. In order to deal with the ups-and- downs of a school year, it is important to “maintain a home culture within the U.S.,” according to Lynch, and that the best way to deal with the drastic ebb and flow of stress is to “achieve balance”. Establishing personal connections, and developing a familiarization with Boston as more than just Suffolk’s campus is strongly encouraged.

C.I.P.S offers inter-student programs between new and upper-class domestic students and international students such as the “Home Away From Home” program. Inter-peer relations, cultural adjustment seminars, and one on one counseling with professionals in the C.I.P.S office constitute the backbone of services provided by the office.

The goal of C.I.P.S. is to assure international students that there is always somewhere to go if the challenges and stress of studying abroad begin to feel overwhelming. Dramatic changes come with their fair share of volatility and the C.I.P.S office is there to assist no matter how small the issue; whether students would like to ask about the differences in classroom etiquette between their home and America, or if they want to talk privately because they feel burned out or stressed because of tests or term papers. The professionals in C.I.P.S are happy to act as guides and counselors to Suffolk’s already large, and still growing, international population.