Suffolk’s first homecoming showcases a wide variety of events

By: Lucie Coppola

This year, Suffolk University decided to try something new by combining two community-based events and embellish them to create one big weekend of celebration.

The result: homecoming.

In definition, homecoming is a time of returning home, in this instance, to a college and other events, to which alumni and family are invited. In essence, it is a chance to become a greater part of the Suffolk community.

Homecoming will feature numerous events between Oct. 17 and Oct. 20. Behind all this is homecoming is Assistant Dean of Students John Silveria, Director of Student and Young Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving Elizabeth Conley, Assistant Director of Alumni Engagement and Communications Emma O’Leary, Communications, and Director of Alumni Engagement Tramaine E. Weekes.

In the past, Suffolk has held two separate events, the alumni weekend, and the family and parents weekend. But, now they will combine to form homecoming.

Photo courtesy of Suffolk Alumni Assn Twitter

“In doing so we hope to bring everyone in association with Suffolk together,” Conley said.

In creating the calendar for homecoming they merged some of the old events that have been part of the two separate weekends, and also came up with some great new and exciting events as well.

“We’ve been working to get students participating with alumni,” said Silveria. “We hope to continue that relationship, from those who have just graduated, to young alumni, and beyond.”

When asking what current Suffolk students should not miss, they gave the low-down on all the events and highlighted the best parts.

“Really, this weekend is about getting involved and showing your pride for this wonderful school,” said O’Leary. She urges everyone on social media sites to get involved by using the hashtag SuffolkHC. Photos and tweets by those using the hashtag will be posted on the homecoming social media page.

Homecoming begins Oct. 17 with Trivia Night for underclassmen and families, held in the 150 Tremont Residence Hall basement at 6 p.m. For seniors, alumni, faculty, and families it will be held at The Red Hat on 9 Bowdoin St.

On Friday, from 7:30 to 9 a.m. James Carroll will be giving a breakfast speech titled “Honest Talk Beyond the Headlines” in the Sargent Hall function room in the law school.

At 5:30 p.m. there will be a Homecoming Welcome Celebration in the 73 Tremont St. lobby where it will be a great time to meet and greet and network.

Friday’s activities will also include a Greek Reception at The Red Hat and Fall Fest.

Saturday, families will get to learn about the city with 9 a.m. Boston-Area Walking Tour held by the history department starting at the Donahue Café.

Also at 9 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Back to the Classroom will be held in Donahue Building classrooms, where a number of Suffolk University faculty members will speak and teach on a number of topics.

“This is a great opportunity for families and alumni to see the environments Suffolk students learn in while also engaging in a great lessons from wonderful faculty members,” said Weekes.

Then, at 12 p.m. there will be a Luncheon Program at the Sargent Hall function room on 120 Tremont St. on the first floor.

“This is a great opportunity to bridge the gap between the generations who have attended Suffolk and to see how the school has grown as a University,” Silveria said.

Saturday will also include more Fall Fest and a trip to the New England Aquarium.

Last but certainly not least, Sunday will wrap everything up with its very fun and exciting events.

At 10 a.m. there will be a Homecoming Farewell Brunch in the Sawyer Building Lounge.

At noon, a game of flag football between two rivals: Suffolk versus Emerson on the Boston Common.

“There are so many preconceived notions about homecoming and thinking that it is based solely on a big football game. So we decided to make light of it and have fun with a flag football game instead,” said Silveria. He explained that the winner will receive a bronze duck.

To see the full calendar of Homecoming events visit Suffolk University’s website.