Current building being demolished to make way for 20 Somerset

Make way for 20 Somerset.

The current building occupying the plot for the state-of-the-art building has entered the demolition phase, and by October will be completely gone, officials said.

The project is on track and on budget to open in the summer of 2015, with new details emerging, said Suffolk University Vice President of Marketing and Communication Greg Gatlin.

The demolition process of the current building began June 21. Although 20 Somerset is planned to be the same size as the current building, it is being demolished, Gatlin said.

“It’s a very laboring process which involves separating steel and concrete and disposing of waste materials,” Gatlin said.

Photo by Ally Thibault

Currently, the roof and penthouse have been torn down. Construction workers will continue disposing of the building from top to bottom. Demolition should be completed by the end of October, Gatlin said.

A webcam is stationed outside the building to record the entire process. More information on where the webcam is and how students can watch it was not immediately available.

Gatlin says some of the newest highlights of 20 Somerset are plans to create active learning environments. Not all of the building’s classrooms will fall under this category, but those that do will offer non-traditional seating. Students may be set up in pods and potentially will have projector technology available to them. This way work can be displayed on electronic white boards from student, to professor, to student.

After the current building has been completely abolished, the construction phase of the process can begin. This means the foundation will be built and the concrete structure will be established. Next in the process will be building the façade of the building and its exterior. Finally, the interior portion will be completed, followed by furnishing, Gatlin explained.

The building will stay on track with its budget of just less than $62 million. The university is funding the building through bonds, said Gatlin.

“It is moving forward nicely,” he said. The construction will be a backdrop of the university for the next two years. Student can imagine how the outdoor social space, new cafeteria, and updated classrooms will look upon completion.

“It’s going to be a state-of-the-art building,” said Gatlin, “A great asset for the Suffolk community.”