Suffolk Sustainability has forward plans for Earth Day

Dan Olson  Journal Staff

This Earth Day, the Suffolk Sustainability office is putting together an event pushing the “Forward on Climate” movement.  Suffolk students are encouraged to attend to gain the latest information on current environmental issues and to learn about ways of creating cleaner energy.

The event will be followed by a luncheon, held on Monday, April 22 in the Law School’s first floor function room from 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m.  Students wishing to attend should email Careese Peters at [email protected] to RSVP.

A discussion panel will include Suffolk University professors John Berg, Brendan Burke, Martha Richmond and Northeast Regional Outreach Coordinator, Carol Oldham.  They will discuss issues such as the Keystone XL pipeline, tar sands, and fracking, from the standpoints of the government, the Institute of Public Service, and Biochemistry.  Student organized presentations will also be present at the luncheon before the event, giving those who are unfamiliar with these topics a brief outline.

“Our goal is just to raise awareness,” says Careese Peters, 20, of Boston.  “We hope to provide some information on the repercussions of using things like the Keystone pipeline or tar sands, and just some general information on cleaner energy resources.”

As an environmental representative at Suffolk, Peters has worked to raise awareness about current environmental issues as well as putting together this event with Suffolk’s Sustainability Coordinator, Erica Mattison.

Much of the interest for this event sparked after the Forward on Climate Rally brought thousands of Americans to Washington, D.C. in February to protest the construction of the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline.

“It’s a hot topic in the U.S. right now, and it’s something we thought students would be really interested in learning about,” said Peters.

On February 17, 2013, thousands of Americans rallied together on the Mall in Washington, D.C. in what is described as the largest climate rally in U.S. history.  According to an article by Andrew Rafferty for NBC news, the government argues that creating the pipeline will “provide the U.S. with a reliable energy source and create jobs during a period of slow economic recovery.”   However, those attending the “Forward” rally suggest that “the pipeline will release more carbon, further heating the Earth and causing more devastating events like droughts and extreme storms.”

Issues like this and many more will be the topics of discussion on Earth Day at Suffolk.  While not necessarily a “debate,” Suffolk’s Earth Day event will fill students’ minds with information.  After all the main goal of the Sustainability office is simply to raise awareness.

“I’m excited to be putting on this event to talk about energy and climate issues with Suffolk students,” says Mattison.  “This is a really timely topic, with issues having to do with where energy comes from and the repercussions of that. We are also pleased to have the support of the Institute of Public Service and the support of Sodexo to help with the luncheon.”

Students are invited to enjoy good food, but more importantly, good conversation.