Women’s basketball takes first loss of season against Roger Williams

Jamie Taris
Junior guard Maddie Stewart drives to the hoop during a game against Emerson College Nov. 8.

The Suffolk University women’s basketball team lost a hard-fought game to Roger Williams University Dec. 2 with a close score of 74-73.

The Rams were trailing for the majority of the game with a score of 37-28 at the half but managed to make a comeback toward the end of the fourth quarter. However, the Hawks sealed the deal with a buzzer-beater to win the game.

This game puts the team at 5-1 for the season, ending a five-game winning streak to start the season.

Head coach Ed Leyden spoke to the game, saying that it was an entertaining match, regardless of the score.

“It was two good teams competing against each other. We didn’t give up and we battled. Roger Williams did the same,” said Leyden.

Despite the loss, Leyden said he is confident in the team moving forward in the season.

“We feel pretty good as far as being able to compete in the conference,” he said.

The starters for the Rams included junior captain Maddie Stewart, senior Amanda DeAngelis, graduate student Lauren Romito, sophomore Colby Guinta and freshman Jordan Moreau. Stewart led the team with 18 points.

When asked what players stood out with their performance during the game, Leyden said he thought Romito and DeAngelis fought to get Suffolk the ball.

“Madi Mahoney and Claire Berkowitz were solid off the bench,” he added.

Senior captain Mahoney said the team fought hard throughout the entire game, regardless of them being down for most of the game.

“Our performance against Roger Williams gave us insight on how good of a team we can be this year. Although we couldn’t close out with a win, this game was a learning experience for us and showcased how we can play with anyone in this league,” Mahoney said.

The team made a comeback in the fourth quarter with a few seconds left, resulting from a fast break from Moreau. Mahoney commented on this, saying how the team really separated themselves in the fourth quarter.

“We knew this was gonna be a continuous effort for 40 minutes. In the fourth quarter, we knew there was still time to win the game, and had to just keep chipping away each possession. I’m really proud of our effort and think it reflected the integrity of this team,” Mahoney said.

To Guinta, the fourth quarter alone was pivotal for the team and showed that the Rams had each other’s backs.

“It wasn’t the end result we wanted but we stuck with a really good team and proved that we can compete with anyone,” Guinta said.

Even though the team lost a hard battle, they fought until the last second and that is something the players are proud of.

Guinta said the loss was about more than just points — it showed the team’s perseverance and determination.

“The game was very intense and had lots of ups and downs but overall we showed that we’re not a sixth-seed team in this conference and we were very proud of that,” Guinta said.

When it comes to getting the team motivated, Leyden said the team captains are the driving force.

“The captains, Maddie Stewart and Madi Mahoney, motivate us all by their example on and off the court,” Leyden said.

The Rams bounced back with a win in overtime against Endicott College Dec. 5, improving to 6-1 to begin the season. They get back in action Dec. 9 against Clark University.