Six ways for students to enjoy Boston this fall

Leo Woods
The Well Coffee House is a Fall must-have for a cozy Autumn.

As September comes to a close and October arrives, autumn is officially in full swing. Although it’s easy to wrap up in a warm blanket and stay in as the days get darker and nights become colder, it’s hard to ignore how the historical city of Boston comes alive in the fall. With so many events and picturesque scenes, one can’t help but feel a buzz of excitement as the season brings in a new sense of possibilities. Whether you want to spend this fall filling up your schedule with special events or taking time to relax, these six activities are sure to light up the dark days. 

Oktoberfest in Harvard Square: Oct. 8

Start off October right by checking out Harvard Square’s Oktoberfest, running Oct. 8 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. The festival is sure to invoke a spirit of liveliness with a variety of different vendors sporting crafts, vintage items, art and food. Oktoberfest includes a lineup of local musicians that will take over the square. With three stages and a musical parade, there will be no shortage of entertainment. This year the event also will showcase beer and wine gardens catered by Alden & Harlow, El Jefe’s Taqueria, Commonwealth Wine School and Bonde Fine Wine. On top of the already bustling day, Oktoberfest will be joined by The Filipino American Festival, which will celebrate Filipino culture with food and music. 

Visit a Museum

Rainy days in Boston can sometimes make it difficult to be out and about. Yet, with so many museums available at the tip of a finger, it’s easy for Bostonians to avoid rainy day boredom. Abi Verfuerth, a senior at Suffolk University, paid a visit to Harvard Art Museums at night and lists it as a fall favorite. 

“I went to the Harvard Art Museum’s Halloween party, it was really fun. I think I’m going to go back this year. It’s free!” said Verfuerth.

The event takes place on Oct. 26 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. and will exhibit world-class art collections, music, food and drinks. Walk-in visitors are welcome, however, advanced registration, which opens Oct. 12 at 10 a.m., is encouraged to secure a spot. 

If you’re not in the mood for an event, plan a visit to one of Boston’s classic museums such as the Museum of Fine Arts, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, or the Institute of Contemporary Arts, all of which are either free or discounted for college students in the area. 

Treat Yourself to a Coffee and Pastry

Getting into the holiday spirit is often done by indulging in seasonal food and beverages. Nothing brings fall to life like comfort foods and warm drinks to ward off the cold. As the leaves turn brown, restaurants, coffee shops and bakeries flourish with specialties that accentuate a taste of autumn. Some notable places to stop for a quick treat include Vester, a restaurant in Cambridge that provides seasonal specialty drinks, along with fresh bread and pastries for a fall morning. Tatte Bakery and Cafe, a chain of coffee shops located around Boston, is another great place to go. With a couple of locations near Suffolk’s campus, it’s the perfect place to stop by between classes. The Well Coffee House, a local non-profit coffee shop on State Street, is serving up seasonal drinks like Vanilla Spice and The Nutty Professor.

Take in the Foliage

Boston, like any true New England city, is home to some of the most beautiful foliage in the United States. Long walks along the Charles Esplanade, through the famous Public Gardens or around Newbury Street, are a must each year. The ever-changing leaves, crisp air and cloudy skies give the perfect backdrop for a day worth exploring.

“Beacon Hill is one of my favorite places to go to in the fall. The brownstone buildings and the foliage are gorgeous,” said Regan Theberge, a junior at Suffolk. “There’s just so much to see.”

Boston Antiquarian Book Fair: Oct. 27-29

For many, autumn is the time to curl up inside with a good book, which is why the Boston Antiquarian Book Fair runs through the weekend from Oct. 27 to Oct. 29. The book fair is a bustling event for any fellow book lovers and hosts hundreds of dealers that sell antique books, maps, manuscripts, drawings, first editions and more literary treasures. The event also showcases several speakers and serves as a creative inspiration for anyone inclined to the literary field. The Boston Antiquarian Book Fair is held at Hynes Convention Center and while Friday is a ticketed event, both Saturday and Sunday will be free for attendees. 

Experience the Boston’s Sports Scene

Boston is world-famous for their exhilarating sports scene and die-hard fans. Of course, this season wouldn’t be complete without a trip to TD Garden to watch the Celtics or Bruins play. Whether your go-to sport is football, basketball, hockey or baseball, Boston has it all. Spending a day with friends at a game surrounded by roaring fans is usually a favorite among Suffolk students. Skyler Overton, a junior at Suffolk, expressed her excitement for the upcoming hockey season. 

“I definitely want to go to a Bruins game this fall… personally, the culture around the sport is what gets me really excited,” Overton said.