Boston sports soul leaves lasting impact

Suffolk University’s Mail Clerk Emily Perlmutter remembered by coworkers, friends
Courtesy of Anthony Voto
Courtesy of Anthony Voto

Emily Perlmutter could typically be found walking into Suffolk University’s mailroom each day sporting her signature Boston Red Sox baseball hat and preaching about the New England Patriots to everyone she met.

“She followed sports religiously, she knew everything about them– specifically baseball,” said Mail Services Manager Anthony Voto. “She loved baseball and went to a bunch of games. She knew everything that was going on whether it was the Red Sox season or the Patriots season. That’s how up on her Boston sports team she was.”

Senior Sociology major Suad Diriye remembers Perlmutter’s passion for the Patriots. “She would always say ‘Go Pats’ or ‘Free Brady, free Brady.’”

Friends and coworkers alike saw Perlmutter’s ambition to continuously make people laugh where her comic relief from a day of work in the Sawyer building, Sargent Hall or on Temple Street would fill hallways.

“She was definitely a joker,” said Voto.

Senior sociology major Danica Dang who worked alongside Perlmutter said she will always remember her for her charisma and lighthearted personality. “She’d come into work like ‘this happened today, you would not believe this’ and she was always so animated, it would just make the room more exciting and fun to work in.”

Being the first one in the office each morning, her coworkers said that she was faithful in helping her team.

“She was the type of person that was never shy, she loved greeting people, talking to people, she had the biggest smile you could imagine,” said Assistant Manager Johanny Mejia. “Whenever she’d see people walking outside she’d just stop them and talk to them about life and how they were doing.”

Perlmutter was the daugher of Law Professor Emeritus Richard Perlmutter. According to a statement that was sent to Suffolk’s employees, Perlmutter was ill in her final days.

“She was very close with everyone in her family,” said Voto. “She was all about family outside of work. When it wasn’t work– it was family.”

Although Voto and Perlmutter were coworkers, he considered her a dear friend. Voto recalled to a Journal reporter that when he received an award from the university for being employed for thirty years, she was “one of the people that was standing behind me cheering.”

“She will be sorely missed,” said Acting President Marisa Kelly in a statement.

After being employed at the university for a number of years, Perlmutter left her mark on nearly every person she came in contact with.

Program Manager for the Law School’s Clinical Programs & Experiential Learning Joan Luke told a Journal reporter on Tuesday night that Perlmutter would bring her and the Clinic’s mail each day.

“We became good friends over time,” said Luke. “She cared about everyone in the building. She came by to visit us, even when she was on medical leave, she would call us and keep us up-to-date on how things were going.”

Perlmutter’s impression that she left with those that she effected at the university will continue to last at Suffolk.

“She left an imprint on people, she definitely has a legacy that she leaves behind here,” said Voto.

Contributions in Perlmutter’s memory can be sent to Melanoma Foundation of New England or Suffolk University’s Office of Advancement.