Despite joining the team mid-season, Halpin leaving his mark

Article by: Mike Giannattasio

Even though Colin Halpin joined the Suffolk University men’s basketball team almost halfway through the season, he has immediately made a name for himself. Halpin joined the team on Jan. 3 after transferring from Hartwick University, a private liberal arts and sciences college located in Oneonta, N.Y.

Halpin, a freshman on the team, has started in nine of 12 games since joining the team and has become the team’s third-leading scorer, averaging 9.3 points per game. Halpin is also second on the team in rebounding (4.8 RPG) and is shooting over 50 percent from the floor and 84 percent from the free-throw line.

Halpin tied his season-high with 16 points in the Ram’s 78-71 loss to Mount Ida College on Feb. 13, going 7-for-10 from the field and dominating in the post.

“Colin is a basketball player in the true sense of the word and he really knows how to play,” said Suffolk men’s basketball coach Adam Nelson. “He plays hard, can really score, and is a tough kid and goes hard every day.”

Halpin, who is from Melrose and graduated from Boston College High School, chose to transfer to Suffolk because he wanted to be closer to home and be in the city. He played three seasons of varsity basketball during his time at B.C. High.

“I have had a great time playing for Suffolk so far,” said Halpin. “Coach Nelson and Coach (Rich) Fazzi have done a great job in helping me learn the offense and fit in right away. My teammates have also been great in helping me when I get lost.”

The team’s regular season schedule comes to an end on Feb. 20 with a home game versus Albertus Magnus, and Halpin hopes that they can end the year on a good note.

“During these two games I just want to improve as much as I can and help the team get a couple of wins,” said Halpin. “Our team goals are to win these last two games and use that as a springboard into next year’s season. We have to stay positive here and strive to make the playoffs next season.”

Nelson added that he only expects more great things to come from Halpin during the rest of his Suffolk career.

“Colin has done a great job playing the four position for us, but [he] has the skill set to play the three as well,” said Nelson.  “If he’s able to do that, we’d have the biggest front line in the league next year, and we’d be very hard to guard.”

Halpin added that he hopes the team wins a bunch of games over the course of the next three years.

“We are looking to make the playoffs next year and hopefully we can earn an NCAA tournament berth at some point over the next few years,” said Halpin.

One of Halpin’s best memories from his experience at B.C. High was winning the Division-I State Championship his sophomore year. He said that he will also never forget his high school teammates who are still a big part of his life today.

“I will never forget walking off the court at the DCU Center in Worcester as a State Champion, as it was an amazing feeling,” said Halpin. “However, besides that I am grateful for the teammates I had, who are now some of my best friends.”