Newly-formed Suffolk Vegetarian Society kicks off the semester

Just about every club on campus offers food from time to time at a meeting, but not many focus on it.

The Suffolk University Vegetarian Society is planning a semester full of good eats for vegetarians, vegans, and meat-eaters alike.

“We’re not just trying to educate people, but we’re trying to build a community,” said James Helenski, president of the club.

His main goals are to get the group’s name out there and have a few people go vegetarian or fully vegan.

“A lot of people don’t understand what’s going on with their food,” said Helenski. He wants to teach people about appealing meal options that don’t include meat or dairy. But, he stressed that they are not forcing people to swear off animals.

“We want to see more non-vegetarian and non-vegan people,” he said. Currently, there are a few members who eat meat occasionally.

Graphic by James Helenski

Helenski wants Suffolk students to think, “Wow, I didn’t realize what I can use instead of meat.” He describes that as an exciting feeling he’d like to see Suffolk students enjoy.

The club tabled at orientation, where they saw interest from herbivores and carnivores. The society has 33 members, according to their Facebook page, and they recently launched a website to add to their cause and fan base.

“Lots of vegetarians feel like they’re the only ones,” Helenski said. “We want to show people there are more vegetarians and vegan people on campus.”

The website has reading options that give students an insight to animal-free dieting and links to helpful tips for starting a meat-free lifestyle. Group members have also teamed up with organizations like the Boston Humane League.

The club had their first meeting last Thursday, but things did not run as smoothly as planned, Helenski explained.

Most of the members are New England School of Art and Design students, and trekking up to campus and back in between their classes at the art school poses a time crunch.

So instead, Helenski is proposing a bi-weekly dinner at a member’s apartment or at a featured restaurant. This Friday, they will start at Piperi Mediterranean Grill.

“We want to show students easy options that are on campus,” he said. “And support alumni,” as the owner of the joint graduated from Suffolk.

Interested students can connect with the vegetarian society through their Facebook page or at the Temple Street Fair.