Suffolk athletes rack up weekly, seasonal GNAC honors

By: Dan Ryan

Bernhard Lotterer, GNAC Player of the Week (Oct. 27)
Lotterer, a senior from Lima, Peru, was named GNAC Player of the Week after he scored five goals in just two games for the Rams last week. Lotterer scored four goals against Albertus Magnus then added another against Mount Ida College, and the Rams won both matches.

John Blazo, GNAC Runner of the Week (Oct. 27)
Freshman John Blazo continued his run as one of the Rams’ top speedsters as he was named last week’s GNAC Runner of the Week. Blazo, a Pembroke, MA, native, was the Rams’ top runner in the Gordon College Invitational, where he finished in ninth place overall with a time of 30:03. The men’s cross-country team finished third overall in the event.

Rebecca Copeland, GNAC All-Sportsmanship Team
Sophomore Rebecca Copeland of the women’s tennis team was named to the GNAC All-Sportsmanship team after the Lady Rams’ season ended with their loss to Simmons on Sunday. Copeland, a native of Bristol, RI, finished with a record of 4-4 on the season in singles play.

Lauren Cameron, GNAC All-Conference First Team
Sophomore Lauren Cameron continued her impressive run with the women’s tennis team as she was named to the GNAC’s All-Conference First Team for her performance throughout the year. Cameron, who was named Rookie of the Year after going 11-0 over the course of the regular season last year, followed up her rookie campaign by going 11-0 again this year. Cameron now sports a flawless 22-0 regular season mark in singles matches. Cameron was also named to the GNAC’s All-Conference Second Team for doubles for going 8-1 with partner Alex Hernandez.

Alex Hernandez-Vallant, GNAC All-Conference Second Team
Junior Alex Hernandez-Vallant was named to the GNAC All-Conference Second Team after she posted a 3-5 record in an injury-shortened season. Post-season awards are nothing new for Hernandez-Vallant, as she was also named to the conference’s sportsmanship team in 2008. Over the course of her three-year career at Suffolk, the Newton, MA, native has a record of 20-10 in singles play and a stunning 26-1 in doubles play. She was also named to the All-Conference Second Team for doubles this season after going combining with partner Lauren Cameron to go 8-1.