Softball team struggles during tough stretch

The Suffolk University women’s softball team had a rough week, losing doubleheaders to Emerson and St. Joseph’s (Me.).  The team is currently in the middle of a 10-game losing streak and sits in the second to last spot in the GNAC conference.

In the doubleheader against first place Emerson on Friday, the Rams managed just five combined hits in both games while being outscored, 20-0.  The next day, the team managed to plate some runs in their games against St. Joseph’s (Me.), but still both contests, 9-1 and 7-4

The Rams offense has been virtually nonexistent during their 10-game skid, as they have been outscored during the streak, 76-18.  During the streak, the Rams have played eight games against GNAC opponents, and they have seen their conference record go from 1-3 to 1-11.  The team actually managed to win their first GNAC game of the year back on March 26 against Lasell, but it has all been downhill since then.  In 12 GNAC games, the team has been outscored by 59 runs, which is second worst in the conference behind 0-16 Albertus Magnus (who have been outscored by 259 runs).

The team has seen key contributions from several players.  Sophomore Lindsey Rogers, who is in her first season playing softball, has started every game this season and leads the team with a .436 batting average.  She also leads the team in hits with 34, and total bases with 51.

Juniors Cali Loura and Karina Bolster have also been bright spots for the Lady Rams this season. The two are second and third, respectively, on the team in batting average.  Loura also has been stealing bases for the Rams, and leads the team with 13 steals in 14 attempts.

Freshman Samantha McGilvray leads the pitching staff in strikeouts, and has a 3.78 earned run average as well.  McGilvray will be the ace of the staff for the next couple of seasons and will be counted on to get wins for the Rams.

Senior infielder Monica Cioffi and outfielder Clara Conklin are the only two graduating seniors. That means a large portion of the team’s core will be back next year.

If players like Rogers, Bolster and Loura continue their contributions at the plate, the team should continue to see improvements and eventually be in contention for a GNAC title.