Women’s indoor track wins Frozen 8 title, men’s take runner up

Nick Milano

The Suffolk University women’s indoor track and field team took home the Frozen 8 Championship on Feb. 12, competing in the conference championship at The TRACK at New Balance, Suffolk’s home track. The men’s squad took home second place in their field.

Out of seven teams, the women’s team led the conference with 200 points, more than double the total of the second-place finisher SUNY Delhi. Suffolk’s domination earned them more points than the bottom four teams’ points combined. 

“When I was a freshman the women’s team came in second because we simply didn’t have the numbers,” said women’s track captain Nicole DiBenedetto. “It has been great to see the team grow over the past four years and the immense talent that each recruiting class has brought to the table.” 

The men’s team was 40 points behind SUNY Delhi, who won the men’s title. 

The Rams dominated the track events, totaling six individual champions. Amanda Walden took home the 60M in 7.96 seconds followed closely by second-place finisher Lauren Wood, who crossed the finish line in 8.11 seconds. Walden also took home the 200M in 25.95 seconds. Both her performances were school records.

“I haven’t fully processed it,” said Walden, who is a captain of the women’s track team. “Not only did I earn multiple accomplishments, but I was able to contribute to the greater win that the girls and I shared.”

Suffolk took home more hardware in the distance events. Freshman Amy Pattelena won the mile in 5:18, with Katelynn Brunt finishing 10 seconds later to take third. Elie Davis was 19 seconds ahead of the second-place finisher in the 3000M, taking home first place. Davis also took home the 5000, finishing over a minute ahead of second-place finisher and The Journal’s Assistant News Editor Sarah Roberts.

Suffolk’s 4x400M squad of Amanda Walden, Amy Pattelena, Emily Concepcion and Jocelyn Trisciak took home first in  4:11:11. This was Walden’s third school record of the day, as the relay team broke the previous time by nine seconds. 

“Being a captain, it’s my job to set an example for the other girls and I take that role seriously,” said Walden. “ To see their faces when I get an accomplishment is more validation than I’ll ever need. Aside from my accomplishments, it was amazing to share the trophy with the girls team.”

The Rams jumped to victory in the field as well. DiBenedetto won the high jump with a mark of 1.45M. Julia Leavy took third in the event. 

Suffolk freshmen swept the pole vault with Kara Sickle, Molly Hennegan and Sophia Echevarria taking the day, respectively. Sickle’s vault of 2.85M won her the day.

“The team this year is young, which shows extreme promise for the future of the women’s track and field program at Suffolk,” said DiBenedetto. “Each and every girl knew what they needed to do on Sunday for us to win and they went out there and got it done.”

Tim Barry was the lone individual champion for the men’s, winning the 800M in addition to the mile. 

The Suffolk indoor track teams will head to the Wheaton Pre-Post Season Invitational on Feb. 18 to warm up for Division III Regionals on Feb. 24.  

Follow JD on Twitter @jdconte617