Women’s tennis team loaded with young, promising players

Vassili Stroganov
Journal Contributor

After a 7-2 start to the season the women’s tennis team is looking to finish the year strong. The conference championship is coming up very soon, and now it is time for the all-deciding stretch run of the season. With impressive wins against Emmanuel and Johnson & Wales the team is playing their best tennis of the season.

“The season so far has been a little up and down. We got some real good wins and some tough loses,” head coach Steve Counihan said. “The losses have been to Simons and Emerson. If we win against Emerson in the playoffs, we will play Simons for the conference championship.”

This season, six freshmen are on the team. With such a young team, a transitioning period would seem inevitable, but the young players have competed at a very high level. Freshman Jane Skorobogatova, who has played for Russia’s under- sixteen national team, has made a positive impact on the team this season, with an undefeated record to boot. The other freshmen include Mellissa Chermley, Julianna Riconda, Georgia Ward, Stacey Politis and Lizzy Arkins.

Counihan has been the lead man for the Suffolk women’s and men’s teams for seven years now. His best season so far was three years ago when the ladies were undefeated and went to the NCAA tournament, ultimately losing in a close match against Skinmore College.

“I definitely think that the team can make it to the championship, but we are going to need a lot of good things to happen, top performances by all of our players,” Counihan explained. “We can’t afford a weak match when we get up to the better teams, and [the team’s] doubles have to come through.”

Counihan is very excited with the progress of the team, and is looking forward to seeing how far they can eventually go.

“All of our players have come a long way since the beginning our season and I would like to say that Rebecca Copeland, Kelly Conrad and Jane Skorobogatova have improved very much through hard work and dedication,” he said. “In training we focus on whatever we were weak on in the game before. I think we need to improve our serves as a team because it is a very important part of the game and because of the windy weather here in New England. The weather conditions make it harder to serve.

“We focus a lot on doubles as well. The season’s goal is to be the top team in our league and right now we are number three. Anytime you have six freshmen on the team it is always a good outlook for the coach.”

Speaking after one of the team’s training sessions recently, freshmen Skorobogatova sounded very optimistic about the direction of the team.

“My season has been great so far because we still have the opportunity to go all the way through to the championship,” she said. “That’s why we are working so hard right now to win the quarter final. If the team reaches the semifinals there will be a spring season and if not then the team will not play until next fall.

“We have all improved our game and worked very hard. We just need a little more experience and then I’m sure we can achieve a lot.”

Skorobogatova started to play tennis in a very early age, and is very happy with the success she has garnered over the years.

“I was seven years old when I accidently bumped in to a tennis court in my city in Russia. Even though my whole family is basketball players, I wanted to go for tennis.”

It turned out pretty well for her, as she was selected to play for the Russian under sixteen national team.

“Two years ago I got a very serious injury in my shoulder and I had to take a long break. Now I have made a comeback and I am ready to try and reach the same level that I had before.”

Ultimately, things are looking very bright for the Lady Rams. Their ceiling seems to be extremely high, and we can reasonably expect a lot out of them this season and  for many years to come.