Stellar rookie Pepdjonovic quickly making a name for himself in the GNAC

Article by: Matt West

Having played three sports at Boston College High School while excelling academically, Matt Pepdjonovic was certainly well prepared for the rigors of being a student-athlete at a well-known university. His athletic prowess notwithstanding, he achieved a grade of “Cum Laude” on the National Latin Exam his sophomore year, a test given worldwide each year to Latin students.

Pepdjonovic knew he had the talent to compete at the highest level, but was somewhat restrained due to the immensely talented teams he played for. However, the situation did enable him to play against some of the most talented athletes in the state.

“In high school, I felt like I didn’t get the full opportunity to showcase my skills being on a very talented team, and I looked forward to getting more opportunity in college. I always thought I was talented at basketball, but never proved it in high school,” explained Pepdjonovic. “So what surprised me most this year is my play on the court. Going into the season I had a chip on my shoulder to prove to myself that I can play at a high level and be a major contributor to my team, and I think my success this year helped my confidence on the court and helped prove to myself I’m a good player.”

Now a freshman center on Suffolk’s men’s basketball team, Pepdjonovic is making quite a first impression with the school and its respected athletic program. With only one game left in the regular season, he leads or is near the top of almost every meaningful statistical category. He is averaging 13.2 points and 11.7 rebounds a game, while shooting 49 percent from the field.

“Coming into Suffolk I expected to be a part of a team on the rise,” Pepdjonovic said. “[In] talking to Coach Nelson before deciding to come to Suffolk, it was obvious he was committed to winning and I really thought the potential was there to have a winning program. I felt I could make an immediate impact on the program and was excited for the opportunity.”

Hailing from Quincy, Mass., just south of Boston, he knew of Suffolk’s well-regarded business school and wanted to be a part of it. Suffolk was the most appealing option for Pepdjonovic, and the school certainly has to be happy with what they have seen so far this year. Coming to the city to play ball was almost a predetermined thing for Pepdjonovic, who said that anywhere else was simply out of the picture.

Having been named GNAC Rookie of the Week five times already this season, Pepdjonovic has certainly adapted well to the college game. In addition to leading the team in a few statistical categories, he currently leads the GNAC in rebounding and is in the top 15 in blocked shots (1.1 per game), steals (1.5), and field goal percentage (.492). While he may have had to fight for time in high school, that no longer seems to be an issue with this burgeoning young center.

Although the team has struggled this year, Pepdjonovic has enjoyed his inaugural season with the team and feels that they will only continue to grow as the years go by.

“Knowing my teammates are all hard workers and led by two great captains (Allan Ray and Mario Massimino), I think next year we will be a dominant force in the GNAC,” said Pepdjonovic. “We will be returning everyone and the future looks bright for our squad.”

The future looks bright for the 6-foot-6-inch center as well, who is well on his way to carving out a remarkable career at Suffolk.

Pepdjonovic, Halpin and the rest of the Rams will close out their regular season this week with a home game against Albertus Magnus on Saturday at 3 p.m. The Rams were in action last night at Emerson in a game that ended too late for this edition.