Remember Forever

Celebrating athletic trainer Jeff Stone’s retirement after 14 years with Suffolk University’s athletic department.

April 11, 2018

While he is not in the championship pictures or has his name hanging from banners in Regan Gymnasium, Suffolk University athletic trainer Jeff Stone has certainly been a part of the achievements in the athletics department.

With a professional career that has lasted more than 40 years, Stone is set to rehabilitate some of his last Suffolk student athletes and to retire from the university after all sports come to a close this season.

Today, the athletics department that Stone stepped foot into 14 years ago is almost unrecognizable. While athletes now have a home in East Boston Memorial Park, this has not changed the level of care at which they receive.

During his sophomore year of high school, Stone was sidelined from playing football by his parents for fear of injury. With a love of sports, Stone refused to stay uninvolved and became the team’s manager. He kept track of equipment and scored games for not just football but his school’s track and basketball teams too.

A commitment to athletics, that started early, continued to blossom as Stone became more transparent in the field of Athletic Training. Stone graduated from Northeastern University where he gained experience through a co-op as an athletic trainer at Framingham State College.

“I found the more things that I could do and the more versatile that I could be, the more valuable I was to the people I was working with,” said Stone in a recent interview with The Suffolk Journal. “I couldn’t get on the field so I started doing the stuff on the side and developed a repertoire to do a lot of things.”

Within the Athletics Department, Stone is notorious for his limitless connections in the field of sports medicine. Stone said that these ties stem from places such as Massachusetts General Hospital and former physical therapy specialists for the Red Sox and Bruins.

He’s just been terrific in taking care of the athletes and clearing them to be on the field, but also when they’re injured getting them back on the field

— Athletic Director Cary McConnell

“He’s just been terrific in taking care of the athletes and clearing them to be on the field, but also when they’re injured getting them back on the field,” said Athletic Director Cary McConnell in an interview with The Journal. “He’s got tremendous resources and contacts that I think our student athletes have benefited from in terms of getting rehab or if they needed to get seen quickly.”

Stone said that he is proud of the university’s program and believes that the athletic care offered could match up with any other Division I school. He explained that the athletic training is so tremendous that often times it frustrates the coaches.

“I’m a surrogate parent and I’m going to be the one that’s going to sit them out when they have a concussion,” said Stone.

For his commitment to athletics, Stone has received many prestigious honors. To name a few, on three different occasions he was named the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Athletic Trainer of the Year. In 2012 he was also inducted into the National Athletic Trainers Association Hall of Fame.

Since his time with Suffolk, Stone explained that he had been around for nearly 20 teams that had made it to GNAC finals.

“I’ve been very fortunate to be here,” said Stone. “I’ve been very fortunate to deal with some excellent coaches and some great student-athletes. I just hope they appreciate the effort that went across to establish a very strong program that looked out for the health and welfare of the student-athletes.”

While his time at Suffolk comes to a close, Stone said that he would still make time for athletic training in his life. He will also spend time working on establishing archives for the National Athletic Training Group.

“I want to be able to walk back here in a couple of years and go to a game and hold my head up and say, ‘yeah, I was part of this,’” said Stone.

The Suffolk Journal • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

• D

Deanna ErricoApr 22, 2018 at 8:24 am

Jeff! A big congratulations! You have had such an incredible career and such an impact on so many people (including me!).
    Best wishes for joy, happiness, and relaxation in your retirement. Deanna

• C

charles rozanskiApr 19, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Jeff congratulation on a great career. Hard to believe how quickly the time goes by and how long we have been professional associates. Enjoy some well deserved time off.

• T

Tonya Hautala. MEd, ATCApr 19, 2018 at 9:06 am

Congratulations Jeff! You have dedicated your professional life to the field of Athletic Training. You have been a leader on and off the field. It has been a pleasure to work with you on the MIAA Sports Medicine Committee and the Bay State Games! Enjoy the next chapter!

• M

Mark GibsonApr 18, 2018 at 10:01 pm

Congratulations Jeff! A career to be emulated!

• K

Ky E. Kugler, EdD, ATCApr 17, 2018 at 3:15 pm

Congrats Jeff – well deserved. Can’t wait to join you. Take care, Ky

• D

Debbie Cusick DeFrancoApr 16, 2018 at 11:39 pm

CONGRATULATIONS, Old Friend!
    What an amazing career! You should be proud. Suffolk will have a huge loss when you apply your last tape job.

Perhaps I might see you at the end of this month…..I hope to attend the Suffolk v Emerson softball game on April 26th. It would be great to see you!

All the best that retirement can offer you – you deserve it!
    Debbie

• E

eddie laneApr 16, 2018 at 9:49 pm

Jeff … Enjoy your retirement as much as you did when on the job.. Hope it is as enjoyable for you as it has been for me. There a grear many athletes enjoying their post athletic timeds because on you.

• J

Jen Semle ATCApr 16, 2018 at 5:28 pm

Congratulations Stoney for a wonderful career..
    The best is yet to be – RETIREMENT!! Thanks for the awesome opportunities and incredible knowledge that you have given to this wonderful profession. All the best

• J

John Ryan, EdD, ATCApr 16, 2018 at 5:20 pm

I first met Jeff back in the late 1990s during the World Scholar Athlete Games at the University of Rhode Island, and from that meeting both a professional and personal relationship has evolved.

Thank you, Jeff for all that you have done for me and for the profession as a whole.

Congratulations!

John

• M

Michael GoldenbergApr 12, 2018 at 7:10 am

Congratulations Jeff on a great career! You have helped move your profession forward!!

10