Suffolk fights Breast Cancer

By: Alexandra Proctor

National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM) is a nationwide event established to raise awareness about early detection and treatment of breast cancer. 2009 marks the 25th anniversary of NBCAM, as well as, Suffolk University’s eighth year participating in a school-wide celebration of education and empowerment.

October has become a time for the Suffolk community to reach out and display solidarity and support for those affected by breast cancer, which has become the second leading cause in cancer-related deaths in women in the United States, according to the American Cancer Society (ACS). The ACS also predicts that in 2009, breast cancer will prove fatal for more than 40,000 women in the United States alone. With statistics like these, Liz Drexler-Hines, health educator in Suffolk’s Health and Wellness Services office, believes that as a community we must work together to instill aggressive healthcare habits for the women of our generation.

Suffolk’s faculty, administrators, students, and athletes have been instrumental in the process of spreading knowledge about the importance of early detection and regular check-ups. Each year, Suffolk hosts a number of events designed to educate members of the Suffolk community, while providing encouragement for those affected by this disease. Students can display their support by wearing a pink bracelet or ribbon, which will be distributed by Suffolk athletes and volunteers in the lobbies of Donahue, Sawyer, NESAD, and the Law School, during the first week of October.

“Stand Up for Pink,” this year’s kickoff event, will take place October 6, 2009, in the Ridgeway Gym. This event will be open to supporters, survivors, family members and friends. Participants will be given a pink t-shirt and asked to form a human breast cancer ribbon, which will then be photographed aerially. This photo will help Suffolk generate publicity for the NBCAM campaign, both inside and outside the University.

NBCAM at Suffolk has been successful in large part due to a specific group of individuals and their altruistic efforts over the years. Norine Bacigalupo, CJN department adjunct professor and breast cancer survivor, has made a life-long commitment to honor her sister and best friend, Barbara McCormick, who died of breast cancer at age 38. Although she recognizes that she cannot change the world, Bacigalupo reaches out to her co-workers and students, pairing a face with a cause, because that is something that her sister would have done herself, had she been given the opportunity.

“I have great regard for what Norine has done for the University. This is a problem that touches every family I know to some extent. Anything we can do to improve this situation is greatly desirable. I’ll get out my pink tie,” said President David Sargent, who has been an advocate of Suffolk’s involvement in the NBCAM events from the beginning. President Sargent, Athletic Director James Nelson, and Head Baseball Coach Cary McConnell are each recipients of the “pink tie award,” an award presented to men who have shown exceptional initiative promoting awareness and community support at Suffolk.

The fourth annual Courage and Cuisine luncheon will be held on Oct. 21, in the Law School function room. A representative from the Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition will address environmental causes such as cosmetics, shampoos, and other common products that increase the odds of breast cancer. Bring a friend, enjoy free lunch, and win prizes including a pink Red Sox watch, all while obtaining facts that could ultimately save a life.

“I don’t think breast cancer is on the forefront of many young women’s minds. It is important to be very aware and to do your research. We are finding that women are starting to be affected younger and younger,” said Drexler-Hines.