Whose campus? Her Campus.

Jess Karmazyn  Journal Staff

From “Campus Cuties” to tips on tailgating fashion, Her Campus has become a popular website among Suffolk students. Since January 2011, co-editors Mackenzie Newcomb and Erika Markle have worked hard to make Her Campus full of new tips and information about campus life at Suffolk.

“We wanted [Her Campus] to be something every girl can relate to and have fun with,” Newcomb said.

The website consists of news, blogs, “Campus Cutie,” events, “Campus Celeb,” polls, and a “Campus Style magazine.” Newcomb and Markle split their editing duties among the websites’ sections. Newcomb has creative input and Markle has a talent for spelling and grammar; they are the perfect team.

“Erika and I became close friends because of it. We never wouldʼve met otherwise,” Newcomb said.

Her Campus has become a successful website, but the most popular section is “Campus Cuties.” The Her Campus committee votes on potential “cuties,” and they are then contacted to fill out a survey. If the survey is up to par then the candidate will be chosen.

“Honestly, when they first came up to me I was really happy about it. It got me pumped for the rest of the day and put a pep in my step,” Sean Riddell said.

Many guys around campus often ask Newcomb why they were not chosen, but each week someone new gets a chance to shine.

“At first I thought it was going to be a bad thing, but now itʼs sort of a fun competition thing,”  said Connor McCarthy.

Riddell doesn’t see the competition in being a “Campus Cutie,” but McCarthy sees a friendly, harmless amount. The “cuties” are all different types and personalities so every girl on campus can relate to at least one.

With so many sections on the website and with 50 writers this year, Newcomb and Markle are busy editing and making Her Campus as perfect as possible.

“The hardest part [about being the editor] is my whole heart is in Her Campus so it’s hard to focus on school work even though I know itʼs important,” Newcomb said.

The Her Campus team puts on events such as their Pretty in Pink Party for Breast Cancer Awareness. The event will be on October 16 from 9p.m. to 1p.m.,  located at the OM Lounge in Cambridge.

“Being involved with Her Campus gives me a feeling like I have a place and importance in the school,” said Newcomb.