Rosenberg Institute, a source for Asian culture

Photo by Alexa Barrios

Alexa barrios, Journal Contributor

Established in 2007 by Suffolk alumnus Richard Rosenberg, the Institute for East Asian Studies brings Asian culture to Suffolk ‘s campus with events and speakers.

Ronald Suleski, director of the Institute, said the purpose is to increase student interest in Asia.

“There’s so much happening in Asia economically and culturally,” he said. “A good education should include an education on Asia, or at least a large Asian component.”

Suleski pointed out how many Asian countries are quickly rising to become fellow world powers next to the US, so this is something college students should pay attention to.

In the past, scholars have travelled from all around Asia, including countries like Korea, India, Tibet, Japan, and China, giving a variety of presentations on certain programs and issues impacting East Asia. Last year, Suffolk welcomed Professor Paul Ropp of Clark University to talk about his newly published book, China in World History. Another speaker was Lobsang Sangay, who discussed Tibet’s ongoing problems with China (he later went on to be the Prime Minister of the Tibetan government in exile).

Last week, the Institute hosted two speakers from China and Japan.

On September 27, Jeffrey Williams discussed his rise as an American in the Chinese business world and offered advice to those looking to take the same path.

Following on Thursday, Goto Shie gave a presentation on the earthquake of Fukushima and its tragic aftermath. She also spoke about the Japanese volunteer group United Planet, which is a recovery project that helps raise money to take care of victims that were impacted by the earthquake.

Suleski is not only the director of the Institute, but also director of Suffolk’s Asian Studies department. As head, Suleski decides on programs and specific subjects to cover each year. Before working with the Institute, he was assistant director at Harvard University’s Fairbank Center where be obtained sponsorships and worked with community groups. Suleski said he then transferred to Suffolk on account of the university’s “good reputation.”

“[Suffolk] has good spirit and attitude so I’m very happy with the move,” he said.

As far as events, Suleski mentioned this coming Thursday, when Dr. Wing-Kai To will come to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Chinese Revolution in which China overthrew the Qing Dynasty.

In November, there will be a China Town Hall meeting, at which there will be a live video feed to Washington D.C. with Zbigniew Brzezinski (President Obama’s Chief Foreign Policy Advisor).

Not only does the Institute bring people from Asia to visit us here in Boston, but it also gives opportunities to send members of Suffolk University’s community there. The Summer in Shanghai program sends students to Shanghai, China for two weeks of an intensive language and culture program, immersing students into the Chinese lifestyle. In addition to language courses, students are taken on excursions to other towns and cities, one being Suzhou.