Editor’s word: Nov. 11, 2009

This week, the Journal was informed that our web site, which was supposed to be up again after a redesign a month ago, will have to wait longer to go online.

The reason? The “controversy” surrounding an article about a band whose name some found offensive that was published in the Arts section three weeks ago.

An unknown entity, only referred to as the “Administration” in emails to the Journal, has directed the Web Services office to not grant the Journal access to our web site to publish this week’s articles.

The Student Handbook is very clear on the issue of censorship by the University in regards to student publications. On page 64, Section D: Student Publications and Broadcasting Systems, the handbook reads, “In the delegation of editorial responsibility to students, Suffolk University must provide sufficient editorial freedom and financial autonomy for the student publications to maintain their integrity of purpose as vehicles for free inquiry and free expression in the academic community.” And it continues on page 65, “The relationship between the University and its student publications will be governed by the following general standards and supplemental guidelines interpreting them: a. The student press should be free of censorship and advance approval of copy, and its editors and managers should be free to develop their own editorial policies and news coverage.”

Essentially, what this means is that The Suffolk Journal is free to print what it deems newsworthy and interesting without fear of censorship or retribution from the University.

This move by the “Administration” to not let this University’s student newspaper have a presence online is contrary to the bylaws they themselves wrote and is also an infringement on The Suffolk Journal’s first amendment rights.

In this country, journalists are free from censorship under the protection of the first amendment. A University flexing its power over student journalism is far from unheard of, but it is always met with protest and it is always unfair and unconstitutional.

Suffolk University is always positively served by having a free student press to report news and opinions on campus and around the city that surrounds us. In the 21st century, not allowing a student newspaper access to its web site to publish stories online is simply ridiculous and will not be tolerated.

The Suffolk Journal will not stand for being censored. And the student body of this university shouldn’t stand for it either.