Students step into the spring season

Leo Woods
Trees blooming in the Common during springtime.

Boston is changing with the seasons. As the warm weather ushers in a brand new city to explore, students find themselves busy with the many activities the city has to offer.

The warm weather has students being far more active and enjoying the green space right by Suffolk University’s campus.

John Newman, a freshman law major, said long walks have proven key as the weather warms up and finals approach.

Newman’s favorite places to walk are the Charles River Esplanade and the Seaport area.

“It’s really pretty and with the water right there, you never get too hot,” said Newman.

The Boston Common and Public Garden are a hub for the happenings of the city. All the previously indoor activities are transferring to an outdoor backdrop. Some students have been having picnics as often as possible rather than eating in dining halls, like Kate Patchell, a freshman philosophy major.

“Where I’m from in New Mexico, I can do this all the time. I have been waiting a long time for it to get like this in Boston,” said Patchell.

Jessa DiDonato, a freshman global communications major, said most of her time has been spent in her favorite green area of Boston, the Public Garden. 

“I’ve been spending a lot of time with my friends outside lately . . . The garden is a perfect place to just hang out,” said DiDonato.

Students have been eager to catch street performances and artists while being out in the warm weather. In particular, Nick Shea, an artist who had his claim to fame with his $1 portraits, has been out on the common more frequently now that it’s warmer.

“I want to get a portrait so badly, but haven’t managed to see him. Lots of people have gotten theirs recently, so I’m hoping I’ll get lucky soon,” said Kate Martin, a freshman finance major.

No Massachusetts summer is complete without some iced coffee, but students seem to be taking a liking to local spots rather than chain shops. Newman shared that his favorites are Bakey and The Thinking Cup on Tremont Street. DiDonato said her personal favorite is The Well on Washington Street.

“It’s right by One Court so I am jealous of those students. They’ve been my go-to since last semester,” said DiDonato.

Trying new foods as the weather gets warmer has been an exciting adventure for students. DiDonato’s loyalty to her favorite coffee shop hasn’t kept her from exploring other places locally. 

“I like to go and just try out new places now that it’s warm outside. When it is winter and it is freezing, it feels like you can’t go anywhere,” said DiDonato.

Newman and Martin said they sometimes select a station on the T and go there to find a new spot to try. 

They have discovered some new must-try locations around the city. Los Amigos right off the Coolidge Corner stop on the Green Line has been one of their favorites. Newman even claimed it was  “ the best burrito,” he has had in the city.

Style has been shifting with the seasons as well. Students have been excited to shop for some spring and summer essentials and pack up their winter jackets for good.

“I’m so excited to wear skirts again. I just never did in the winter but I love wearing them . . . I usually buy them off of small business sites I found off of Instagram,” said freshman Sara Cigri. Other students are ready to show their love for some more controversial fashion items.

“I’ve been really into jorts recently. They’ve been coming back into fashion recently and I just find them so comfortable,” said Didonato.

Sports seasons are also kicking up into high gear. With the Red Sox starting their season and the successes of the Bruins and Celtics alongside that, the city seems to be brandishing lots of pride.

The Red Sox Student 9’s are a must-have for any college student in the city. Some of the lowest prices for the best seats at Red Sox games are hard to beat.

Suffolk’s Student Government Association has been holding its own events to help students secure highly sought-after tickets, selling Bruins and Celtics tickets for well below prices you can find online.

With all the exciting experiences and events, there is no doubt that you won’t get bored this spring with all there is to do.

Follow Julia on Twitter @Julia_Capraro